Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows XP Re-Install... No Internet!?

3K views 25 replies 7 participants last post by  DoubleHelix 
#1 ·
First off, im going to give you some history that leads up to where I am.
About 2 months ago, I downloaded a pirated version on Windows 7. After i found out it was a bad copy, I got rid of it. after having some issues with my windows XP disk, I installed Ubuntu 11.10 onto it, everything worked fine, internet and all, however im not one of the people who understand and/or use it, so I retried and successfully installed Windows XP Home Edition SP2 onto it, however i cannot connect at all to the internet, even if its plugged in with wires, Its odd because ubuntu connected just fine!. I used the disk it came with for XP Drivers, and Ironnically I need internet connection to use them :S, The router didnt come with a Disk because it doesnt need one. I gave up because no yellow Question marks could be fixed, and for now im back on Ubuntu.
I really need help on this one, I tried through phone support, Other forums, Ask.com and the local computer repair shop... nothing.

#2 ·
You should update your computer specs.

Did you use the restore disk that came with that computer? If not, it didn't include all the drivers for the hardware. You also can't use a Windows XP OEM disk that came with another computer or was used to install Windows XP on another computer.

If it's a legal install, you'll need to go to the computer manufacturer's website and download and install all the drivers for all your hardware. You do not need to install anything related to the router.

#6 ·
I don't know what disk you have that doesn't have any useful data on it. Something doesn't add up.

You're on the Internet right now, or you wouldn't be able to post here. Go to the laptop manufacturer's website, and download the drivers for the laptop's hardware. Copy them to a flash drive, and install them on the laptop.

#10 ·
It was a legal install from a disk that came with the computer. The laptop is bout 6 years old, cant name the spec because i dont know how to with ubuntu.
You can't tell us what the brand name and model name and model number of that laptop is?

It's either embossed on the case or it's on a label on the bottom of the case.

It doesn't matter which operating system is running in it.

---------------------------------------------------------

#15 ·
Here is the driver for the Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Ethernet

Here is the driver for the Intel Wireless 4965AGN / Intel PRO Wireless 3945ABG

Download and save them in a working computer, then copy then to a USB thumb drive, then use that device to install the drivers in that Dell laptop.

--------------------------------------------------------

#17 ·
First of all make sure you actually get official copies of Windows 7, I still use XP as I think that after XP, All other versions of Windows started to lag and had too much going on in the background. Plus Xp is one of those things were you can get to grips with it easy.

Try using an Ethernet Cable and try to install all of Windows XP again, this might help as I have had the same problem at times and I had to use a USB stick to copy all my internet data onto Windows. Easy way and worked for me :rolleyes:

#25 ·
The reason internet is not working may be because the Ethernet driver was not installed onto your computer, XP does not install that driver by default during the installation.
You always have a CD of Ethernet Driver that helps connecting to internet, it may even be possible that your LAN card's not working properly and needs maintenance or replacement.:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.