Windows XP recovery console

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

love987654

hi i hav a prob and would appreciate any help:

computer is a emachine 1.6Ghz intel cleron , 60Gb hard drive, 256 ram, windows XP home edition

i hav a emachine and it was runnin windows xp home edition. the computer was shut down and while it was shutting down the mains were turned off.

eva since then the windows fails to start up.....it comes up with a screen for startin up in safe mode etc but non of them work.....i hav tried all the techniques such as boot disk etc.....i then turned to using windows' rocovery console. it was all goin well...all the information that is avainlble on the windows support website i followed i got to the stage were i am in comnd line and i am in the rute folder (C:\ windows)....ive checked and made sure all the directories are present and so are the folders......

wat i ned to no is how do i run windows from here?...wat do i do.....i ODNT WANT TO LOSE MY DATA ON THE DRIVE
(i also hav a window xp cd in the D: drive)

can somone help me plz
:(

The Recovery Console isn't like DOS and you can't run Windows from there. The RC itself is just a simple operating system.

In XP, you can only run Windows from Windows.

Do you have an installation made by eMachines or by a full version XP CD? If the original OS was installed from the XP CD that you now have, you can run a repair installation, as drifterrr suggested.

All you do is boot from the CD. When it asks if you want to repair and to press "R", don't. Continue with the installation just like you were installing for the first time.

You will then get a license agreement and it will ask you to press F8 to agree. Right after that screen, you will see a list of Windows installations that setup found. It will ask if you want to repair it. Read the directions on that page!!!

Then, you will actually press "R" this time and XP will re-install.

When done, you will be back to your familiar desktop with everything looking just like it did before. But all your Windows Updates are gone and you will need to get those again.

If you have any problems booting from CD, set the CD to boot earlier then the hard drive in BIOS setup, or come back for more help.

love987654

thanx elvandil for the reply and also drifterr i hav tried the above

i hav a full version of xp and i am using it, but its not made by emachine rather from dell.

wen i "Continue with the installation just like you were installing for the first time." with out pressin "R" it asks me to reformat the drive (quick) or or refrormat the drive in order to continue....i will lose all me data, i dont want that

any help
????

Actually when you boot using the full version XP CD on the first screen you will get a press F3 to install Windows XP or 'R' to repair XP, press F3. Next screen will be the License agreement, press F8 to agree. Next screen, this is important do not continue installation, you will have to press R alright?

love987654

ok i get it tahnk u very very much....its workin tahnk u

problem solved

were to i get all the untilty programes to make the graphics look better?

You're probably talking about a driver for your display adapter. If you are, you might start a different thread on that subject in the Hardware forum.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts