1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP Reformat ?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by schmoovit, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. schmoovit

schmoovit Thread Starter

Hi, new to the forums, been hanging around for a while, I have a question or a problem you could say, I have a custom built 3.4 HT p4, 80 gig WD, ASUS P5AD2 Wireless Premium Edt. 450 Antec True Blue PSU, gig of corsair DDR2 MIMM, and I have not yet had time to reformat this system yet, I use this solely for competitive gaming, I recently tried to reformat, and got this error message:

Set up did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer.
    Make sure any hard drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk related hardware configuration is correct. This may include running a manufacture supplied diagnostic or setup program. Press F3 to quit.

I was thinking it might be a corrupt MBR, but I have limited experience with the technical side of computing, can someone please help me with this issue. Thanks in advance.

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

3. bonk

bonk Banned

Welcome aboard,

It basically can't see your hard drive.....so I would check the connection to it first and do you have the jumpers set to Master and is that the only hard drive installed?

And do you have a Sata drive?

4. schmoovit

schmoovit Thread Starter

thanks I'm gonna read through this and post again if I have any other errors, anything else I should know?

5. schmoovit

schmoovit Thread Starter

Yes I have 1 hard drive, and I believe everything is correct, how would I check jumpers to confirm if that is the case?

6. bonk

bonk Banned

Find out if you have a Sata first

When you put the Operating disk in and restart the PC does it boot to it and you get a scrren up?

7. schmoovit

schmoovit Thread Starter

Western Digital 7200 RPM 8 MB Cache 80 GB, says something about Data Lifeguard Tools included.

8. schmoovit

schmoovit Thread Starter

I don't know how to identity if its SATA, I have RAID manager under the start menu.. again not sure if that has anything to do with it.

9. bonk

bonk Banned

When you put the Operating disk in and restart the PC does it boot to it and you get a scrren up?

10. schmoovit

schmoovit Thread Starter

yes I changed the boot sequence to boot from my dvd drive, tells me to press any key to start(black and white screen) then it proceeds to the install windows and I choose that option, then it gives me the error message, so i presumed to press F3 and quit, then it brings me back to my desktop.

11. schmoovit

schmoovit Thread Starter

Help? lol..

12. Old Rich

Old Rich

You can open the tower and look at the hard drive . . if it is connected to a flat wide "Ribbon" it is a PATA drive . . if it is a narrow slim cable, it is SATA and you need to load the SATA drivers at the "Press F6 to load SATA . . . . " prompt. ( or just assume it is SATA and follow the guide I gav e earlier )

13. schmoovit

schmoovit Thread Starter

Its black, flat and wide and could it be SCSI? or whatever..

14. bonk

bonk Banned

OK you didn't get as far as installing the third party drivers....which usually would be press F6.

I would check to see if the is any jumpers on the Hard drive

See below if the Hard drive is on its own on the cable then choose Single

Attached Files:

15. schmoovit

schmoovit Thread Starter

I believe it is a 10 pin and its on slave drive 4 and 3 what now?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543843

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice