1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Xp Reinstall Files Do Not Copy

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sagepark, Jul 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sagepark

sagepark Thread Starter

okay so i'm reinstalling my windows xp os onto my computer.

problem is, it keeps on stopping during the setup process telling me that setup can not copy a certain file.

i've already reformatted, partitioned the hard drive, so i don't see why there is any difficulty in installing.

already bought a brand new HDD. cd-rom is reading fine cuz it does boot off cd, so there can't really be anything wrong with that. and the XP disk should be fine since i just used it on another computer and it worked smoothly.

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Well since you already used it on another computer you might have a problem authenticating it since it is now illegal. Install disks are only good for one machine. Besides the drive might be out of alignment or something but the disk is illegal.

3. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

authenticating and installing are two separate issues.

it sounds like a bad/scratched cd.

4. sagepark

sagepark Thread Starter

well its not the authentication part i have a problem with - i can't even install the os. it just asks me to skip over files.

it also says at startup that my NTLDR is missing.

5. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

It does not matter the disk is illegal because it was installed on another computer. By the rules set here we are not allowed to do any tech support with it. Atleast that is what I was told by someone in authority. If it was legal that would be another thing.

6. sagepark

sagepark Thread Starter

no it was installed on the same computer. that computer got messed up, so i'm trying to reinstall the os.

7. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

You should watch what you type. The above is out of your first post. Please to make your mind up. And if you bought a brand new hard drive it should work. I think it is having difficulties.

8. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

That.

9. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

If this is true the cd is alright

XP disk should be fine since i just used it on another computer and it worked smoothly.

besides it is illegal. It was installed on another computer already.

10. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Not all opticals are identical in their reading abilities. I have had many marginal discs that won't read in one but will in another. One size does not fit all.

11. sagepark

sagepark Thread Starter

i didnt install it. i simply used it on another computer to see if it would run okay, and if in fact there was a problem with the disc.

12. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

When installing Wndows on a PC and you encounter difficulties copying files, 90% of the time the cause is faulty RAM in the PC, and nothing else.

Installing Windows is one of the few times all RAM is used in such a hightly critical manner and is when any faults show up. When they do show up, the symptoms are exactly as you describe.

13. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483049

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice