1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP Repair In Loop Can I Save Data?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by hmharris, Jun 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hmharris

hmharris Thread Starter

I tried to repair windows xp using the installation cd and i could never get it to boot up. Dell says I must restore the operating system because the os files are corrupt.

I have hiren's boot cd and can see my data but can't move it anywhere to save it. Is there any way I can save my data or some of it before I restore? Especially since the pc won't boot to windows at all?

Thanks.

2. briealeida

briealeida

Get a Knoppix CD. It's a live CD that will allow you to boot your computer into Knoppix (a version of Linux) and copy your files where ever you would like, ie: another hard drive, USB storage media, whatever.

In order to boot into Knoppix, make sure that your computer's boot priority has your CD drive ahead of your hard drive. After that, your data should be safe.

3. hmharris

hmharris Thread Starter

Thank you so much! I did what you said and now I can at least get my pictures and other data off before I reformat. I had been working on getting this done for days!

I really appreciate your help.

Helen

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/583311

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice