Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows XP Running Slow

784 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Rollin' Rog 
#1 ·
I am having trouble with Windows XP. When I type the letters do not appear right away. Even when I do down arrow it takes forever. Can you help me?

#2 ·
Download and install HijackThis using the "self extractor". Run it and select "do a system scan and save the log file". Then copy/paste the contents of the log to a reply

http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/hijackthis_sfx.exe

Performance Questions:

1 > is it very slow to boot up?
2 > do programs open slowly?
3 > does the same behavior occur both offline and on?
4 > does it matter how long the system has been on, and does a restart improve things?

Slow performance issues can often be due to overheating, so if the system is faster after it has been shutdown for a while and then restarted -- that would be especially suspect. To check for possible problems here, shutdown, open the case and blow out any accumulated dust. Then turn it
on and check to see that the fan is working. Sometimes it helps to physically clean the fan. Programs are available that can help monitor temperatures as well.

5 > if you do a ctrl-alt-del, do any processes show excess cpu usage, other than System Idle Process?

6 > If you open the Device Manager (windows+pause/break > Hardware > Device Manager) and select the entry for IDE ATA/Atapi and select the Primary IDE > Advanced Settings, does it say the "current transfer mode" is DMA or PIO?

If it says PIO, first ensure "Use DMA if Available" is selected, then select the driver tab and uninstall the driver and reboot. Then check again.

Do ctrl-alt-del to open up the task manager. Select the "performance" tab. Let me know what you see under:

Physical Memory

Total: this is your total installed ram -- "physical" memory
Available: this is the amt of real "physical" memory presently uncommitted

Commit Charge

Total: this is the combination of total physical and virtual memory currently in use
Limit: this is the total physical and virtual memory available
Peak: this is the most you have had in use in this session

====================================================================
NETWORK USAGE

Select the Networking tab in the Task Manager

>> What is the current percent of Network utilization?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.