1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP Safe Mode - How do I revert to Norma Mode - URGENT HELP PLS!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by nhaynes, Jul 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nhaynes

nhaynes Thread Starter

I've switched my laptop to safe mode so I can run a virus checker but now I can't log onto my machine. In safe mode my machine will not recognise my logon password that I normally use to connect both to mainframe and as a laptop.

I change to safe mode by Running msconfig, then selecting safe mode.

I've tried hitting F8 and selecting normal mode but it just keeps reverting to safe mode.

My systems guys are saying they cannot get my machine out of safe mode as there was no logon password loaded on my original machine build???

Can anyone advise me how I can restore normal mode before my systems guys wipe my C drive and start re-building my machine. Urgent help would be very much appreciated!

Neil.

2. rob.detablan

rob.detablan

Hi Neil, Robert here, ok just a couple of questions to clarify things a bit:
    1. are you able to get to your desktop in safe mode then get into your start menu and typing in the run menu the "msconfig.exe" option? (Basically backtracking what you did before the incident)

2. If not have you tried to boot back up to the F8 list and select the "boot up last known good configuration...etc" ...something like that.. option?

But more importantly this question comes to mind, what made it necessary to boot into safe mode on your desktop just to do a virus scan? But most importantly, was there anything else that you may have done during the time of this incident or immediately beforehand that might have otherwise caused your angst? I am simply trying to get a better understanding of what exactly happened as this will better determine a possible solution than to just proceed to an extreme one ie. reinstalling a fresh copy of Windows on your laptop. Let me know how it goes, if not, you can email me or post your questions if you have any problems at all. Good luck, Neil! =)

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

You might try running MSCONFIG and put it back again.

Also, you might try editing the BOOT.INI file and remove any unnecessary switches there was well.

4. rob.detablan

rob.detablan

Good call Bob, thanks for the assistance =)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/254970

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice