Windows XP Security Center thinks windows firewall is on

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jmozzie

Hello!

I had a windows update install and restart the windows firewall. But, I turn off the windows fall because, I have a certain firewall needed to contect from home to work. I have turned off the firewall service and disabled it. For some reason Windows Security Center still thinks that the windows firewall is running. I have tried turning it back on and then off again. But, that didn't fix the problem. Norton even thinks the windows firewall is off. Does anyone know where in the operating system I can tell the security center that the firewall is off? I would really like to get this fixed. So, I can connect from home to work again. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Phantom010

Trusted Advisor
1. Click on Start > Run > type services.msc

2. Locate and stop Windows Management Instrumentation & Security Center. By default, the Startup Type on both should be Automatic.

3. Go to C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem.

4. Only delete the Repository folder.

5. Reboot your computer.

This will rebuild the deleted folder and the database. Now the Windows Security Center should show the correct info for antivirus and firewall.

After you're done, restart the Windows Management Instrumentation & Security Center services.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online