1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP Service Pack 3

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by louie53, Oct 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. louie53

louie53 Thread Starter

When I first turn my pc it has a popup that says install updates for windows. I've let it do it and it comes up and when it's done it says " Service pack 3 installation did not complete"
    It don't update. So everytime I get ready to shut my pc down it comes up saying install updates. What can I do? Can I block this function or do I dare? I am getting very tired of it.

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Download and save the full 316 MB file that Rich-M gave you the link to.

Make sure your antivirus program is turned off and not running. This is very important.

Double-click the saved file to start the upgrade process, then follow the directions as they appear.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Before you install the SP3 upgrade, it's important to know if your computer has an AMD or an Intel processor.

If it has an AMD processor, a patch needs to be installed first before the SP3 upgrade is installed, or else your computer may continually reboot afterwards.

You also should read this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

4. louie53

louie53 Thread Starter

Do I need this windows XP service pack 3?

5. louie53

louie53 Thread Starter

I run my Norton , then spybot and adware before I tried downloading windows service pack 3 and the same message came up again that it couldn't download. So you are saying go in and turn off Norton first before I do it again?

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

I have been telling users with older hardware not to bother with Sp3 as they don't have that much to gain, and there can be serious issues with it.

7. louie53

louie53 Thread Starter

Ok, so how do I remove the service pack 3? Will it hurt my pc?

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

No if you are having no issues leave it it will not hurt you at all. If you have issues related to it you should be able to remove it in Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756337

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice