1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows xp setup problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by thepunisher7, Dec 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thepunisher7

thepunisher7 Thread Starter

when i install windows xp on my computer it gets stuck on the blue windows setup screen how do i fix this?

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Could you please post back some of the details - the 0x0000?? and ANY_WORDS_JOINED_UP_BY underscores?

3. JennyJackson01

JennyJackson01 Account Closed

Hiya thepunisher7.

Just to clarify, what type of blue screen does it hang on, is it a dark BSOD or a nice pale blue setup screen? (How far does it actually get)

If it gets far enough to offer to format the hard drive, make sure you do it to give it a fighting chance as opposed to trying to over-write an existing installation.

Regards
    Jenny

4. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Oh that blue setup screen. Must polish the snow off these spectacles! :D

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Are you using an actual XP CD and booting from it and getting the Press any key to boot from CD command? If so, how far into the blue setup screen process did it go before it stops?

Did that computer come with Windows XP pre-installed?

If it has a SATA hard drive instead of a IDE hard drive, that may be the reason why the setup process stops. The XP CD doesn't have native support for SATA hard drives.

----------------------------------------------------------------

6. thepunisher7

7. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Try again and tap Function 6 a few times as soon as possible after it starts. My guess is it isn't seeing a hard disk. You could test the hardware by using a version of Linux which can run as a Live CD without a hard drive being present - try PCLinuxOS from http://www.pclinuxos.com.

8. thepunisher7

is the hard drive supposed to have a unallocated partition because when i boot from the hard drive it says cannot find os?

9. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

That type of Partition might contain an OEM manufacturer's recovery setup and a function key could be the way to kickstart it. That key sghould be displayed onscreen as a message at startup.

What is the make and model of the PC and did it have a working XP installation before? When you tried to reinstall, did you keep the only minimum items connected - keyboard, mouse and screen?

10. thepunisher7

wow i took the network thing out and now it works THANK YOU for helping

11. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

You'll want to have that plugged in when Windows gets to the stage of setting up networking so it's better to go to BIOS before installing and disable the boot option for booting from a network. That's where the system was looking for a remote OS to boot your machine.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971123

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice