1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows xp setup with raid0 array help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by safezone, Feb 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. safezone

safezone Thread Starter

Hello,

I have a question.I recently built a computer.i set my hard drives up in a raid 0 array.The motherboard is an asus p4c800-e deluxe with a raid stuff already on it.It is my first time building and im pretty sure i did everything right.the array is ready to go.Here is the question.When i put the windows xp cd in and it starts up it says press f6 to install 3rd party drivers which i do,and then a screen comes up telling me to press S ,so i do.Then i get asked to insert a floppy disk with the drivers into drive A.All my motherboard came with is a cd with a bunch if info.I tried a few things made a few disk and have had no luck.Please help)) Here are my specs

Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
    P4 3.0g cpu
    aspire case with 5 led fans and 500w psu
    1g dual channel kingston drr ram
    geforce 6800 gt oc
    hitachi 80 gb hard drives (X2)

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

There are two ways to fix this. On the Asus support cd, there should be a folder called make disk or create disk [I cannot remember which it is] In this folder you will find an app that makes the floppy disk for you with the driver and txt file on the disk.

The other way is to go to Asus's site and download the file here is a link. It is half way down the page.

BTW you will need to create your raid array prior to loading xp.

3. norton850

norton850

Your motherboard might have two sets of SATA/RAID controllers. The CD therefore will have two sets of drivers. Obviously you need to pair the driver with the controller.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I read the product specs on Asus's site and it is a little confusing. I think there is one promise controller that allows a raid array to be created with either the sata or ide ports or any combination of the above. I think he only needs the promise driver, however it is not real clear.

5. norton850

norton850

I think your right. I don't see anything in the manual about the ASUS CD containing drivers for the Intel connectors. So if the drives are plugged into these no extra drivers will be needed. Just the Promise drivers if those connectors are the ones in use.

I have an AMD based ASUS board with two sets of SATA/RAID connectors and the CD has drivers for both. No way to tell what's up without reading the manual ;)

6. safezone

safezone Thread Starter

Hi crj,

Im almost certain I have everything hooked up right and rdy to go.The board has 4 sata connectors all together i have my 2 sata wires running from my hard drives to the inputs that say raid1 and raid2.The other inputs just say sata1 and sata2.Also I have a Buslink Sata PCI adapter for raid setup also.I did try using this and tryed the same things reading the manuel and creating disks and still cannot get beyond this point.Starting to wonder if i got something hooked up wrong,but if i did i wouldn't be able to set my raid array correct?Think that my array could be set up wrong? Here is what it says

scanning IDE......

ID Mode size Status
    1 2+0 16????? functional

Also with the hard drives hi have the sata cables hooked up and power that comes down and runs into the drives,but i do not have the sata power cable that is in the shape of a Y and connects two drives to the psu.Do you have to have those connected also to power.Sorry for all the questions New builder) Thanks in advance Safezone

7. norton850

norton850

ID Mode size Status
    1 2+0 16????? functional

I think you've got the drives set up but I don't get the question marks. That's the usual description for RAID (2+0), but for RAID0 it will often say 2+0 Stripe.

SATA drives often have two sets of power connectors, the old 4 pin molex type and the newer SATA power connector. You only need one so if you've get the 4 pin connected that's all you need.

Did you copy the Promise RAID drivers from the ASUS CD? The floppy with the Promise drivers is what you need to use during the XP installation when you get to the press F6 part.

8. safezone

safezone Thread Starter

I just double checked and it does say 2+0 stripe.When i try to install windows i get to the f6 screen for third party drivers.I have tryed taking the drivers off the cd and putting them on floppy and installing and no go.I also tryed the downloads on the website and still no go.Keeps asking for the drivers.Getting to be a pain but i have lots of patience).Well at least i know everything is hooked up right.

My boot sequence is
    1. cd-rom
    2.floppy
    3. hard drives

If anyone comes up with anything it will be greatly appreciated.
    Think i should use my buslink sata pci adapter?I tryed this also today and no luck with drivers at all

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Ok, you cannot just copy the driver to a floppy. You must use the app that makes the floppy for you. Either the one on the CD or the link I posted. The reason is that you must have the txt file on the floppy as well. This is what gives the menu of drivers you see when installing xp / win2k.

10. safezone

safezone Thread Starter

used the app to make the diskette and still no go(

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Go over each step again. Make sure the drive are connected to the correct sata ports; that they are connected to power. Make sure the drive are recognized in the raid bios on startup. If the drives are not recognized by the bios, windows setup will not see them either.

Make sure your floppy and floppy drive are ok. I had a raid install drive me crazy for over an hour until I [finally] decided to try another floppy disk.

12. safezone

safezone Thread Starter

I have been using the same floppy disks for a long time.Ive had a lot of different stuff on them so maybe thats the reason because they have been formatted so much.Think i should get some new floppys?

Ohh guess what.Something even worse happened my psu went kaput.No power to the comp no mobo light no fans spinning.Dead silence.Figures by a nice aspire case plenty of fans but pos psu.Did order a nice antec 550w though so should be stable.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329876

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice