Windows XP slow loading

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

anicholles

Does anyone know what happens on bootup between my Desktop wallpaper appearing and the icons being displayed. I'm using Windows XP on a Pentium 4 machine with 3 GHz and 1 Gb RAM.

The time between the two events can vary from seconds up to two, or three, minutes.

I'm at a loss to know what the problem is but would love to resolve it!

Any thoughts anyone?

You should never keep loads of icons on ur desktop. The Desktop should always be clean with max 15-20 icons. The wallpaper should not be of a huge size...

anicholles said:
Does anyone know what happens on bootup between my Desktop wallpaper appearing and the icons being displayed. I'm using Windows XP on a Pentium 4 machine with 3 GHz and 1 Gb RAM.

The time between the two events can vary from seconds up to two, or three, minutes.

I'm at a loss to know what the problem is but would love to resolve it!

Any thoughts anyone?
I was having a similar problem with my computer. Whenever I started it up it would be very slow to load the desktop. Here's my diagnosis...

First, uninstall and delete any unnecessary programs and files.

Second, make sure your background wallpaper is a simple picture, not too many pixels.

Last, if you have a DSL Internet connection, make sure you have all programs such as MSN Messenger or AIM not to sign in automatically. This causes major slowdowns if you haven't yet connected your computer to the internet via DSL.

If you have any of the problems with any of the above things, or if you have solved them, just leave a post on this thread or feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] with further questions or successes.

Hope that helps,
Simon :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online