1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP: sound in background loops continuously

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Driventodistract, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Driventodistract

Driventodistract Thread Starter

:confused: Hi,
    I have a sound permanently playing in the background on my Window XP system (sp2). I think I know where it came from, but have been unable to figure out a fix (searches, etc... didn't help). While listening to a podcast in Itunes, I decided it was junk. Mainly because of an annoying background sound. So, not wanting to mess around, I deleted the podcast.

I did this, foolishly (it seems), while still listening to the podcast.

Everything was deleted EXCEPT the annoying background sound from the podcast is now playing ALL THE TIME. I have to turn of my speakers to not hear it... Even muting the device does nothing to stop this.
    :mad:
    I'm totally at a loss. Not that I know much about how windows decides what to play in the background...

Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks very much,

"Driven to Distraction"

2. bicycle bill

bicycle bill Banned

If it hasn't been too long since this happened why no do a system restore? We forget this option sometimes at least i do.

3. The Hound

The Hound

Reboot the computer.

Click start, control panel, sounds icon (in classic view). On the Sounds tab, choose 'no sounds' from the dropdown menu, click apply, click ok. This is for system sounds...

If the sound continues, check your task manager (processes tab) for a media player (quick time?) which is running, and try 'end process'.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/589906