1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP sp2 File Corrupt!!!

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by xjasonedgex, Feb 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xjasonedgex

xjasonedgex Thread Starter

For the love of God! My system appears to be functioning normal, but I can't seem to install programs cleanly. I have no virus protection because System Works Won't innstall, and I have to go on line because I can't install SP2 from the CD! I've spent way too much time on this.

2. rebon

rebon

If you are going online with no virus protection you could be infested with virus and spyware, hope you have a firewall running?

You need to get protected and quickly. System works is compatable with AV and firewalls so I dont know how you have this problem. There are free antivirus programmes you can get and free firewalls, go to the security forum and read the sticky. There are also free online scans.

Get protected NOW :)

good luck

3. xjasonedgex

I know. I know. It seems though that there is a validation issue. Error 1335. The technet database offered some advice which I tried, but to no avail. I have my memory limited to 256 in the boot.ini. The event viewer is giving me errors saying that the edb.log file in %systemroot%/windows/system32/catroot2 was corrupt. Removing this file forces windows to rebuild the database, so I did this.
    Both of these efforts have been to no avial.
    Man what a headache.

4. rebon

rebon

Ok, Ok, maybe windows xp is corrupt some how, how about trying a repair of windows?

If you want to try it do this. Make a restore point before starting.

How to go about Repairing Windows XP
    1. Put your Windows XP Install CD into your CD-ROM drive.
    2. Reboot your computer.
    3. Let your system boot off of the CD.
    4. Let the Setup go through the first part of the Installation procedure.
    5. When you come to the screen in which it says "Welcome to Setup." press Enter to Setup Windows XP.
    6. Press F8 to agree to the End User License.
    7. Let the Setup search your system for previous versions of Windows.
    8. When the Setup is finished searching your system, select your Windows XP Installation and press the R key on your keyboard to start the Repair Procedure.

This is the part that might make you nervous . The Setup will delete all major system files and then replace them with new copies.

You will have to download all of the updates from Microsoft Windows Update again because it replaces the files.

Don't worry, your user data is still intact. Nothing has been lost, nothing has been deleted. Your data is safe, just the OS has been repaired, so relax.

There is nothing to worry about as long as you follow the steps to repairing Windows XP.

Failing all this you may consider a full reformat of xp?

5. xjasonedgex

This is my 3rd full install of XP. All format and reinstall. This install should be clean. I also had the same issues when trying Win2k Pro. I just built this system this week. The installs run fine. My network connections function properly. I can even download updates from microsoft, but I can under no circumstances install additional programs. There is a far reaching chance that my new dvd/cd-r is defective, but if it is, how would it install windows 4 times without any type of error message? It may even be a memory issue. Still, I'm at a loss, but i'm not reinstalling anything without a documented answer to this problem.

6. rebon

rebon

Maybe if you can borrow an external cd drive from somewhere, connect it to the pc and see if that works, just a shot in the dark :)

good luck

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you think your CD drive is defective, an easy test is to copy the source files to a directory on your hard drive first.

Generally if they copy ok, both the drive and the CD itself are ok.

8. xjasonedgex

hey, i don't know why i didn't get this in the right forum. i'm a newb but yes, i copied tbe files to my d:\partition. same deal...i don't mean to double post, but i'm going to bring this up in the right forum

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329157

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice