1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP SP2 Firewall Cannot Start?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kitch69, Aug 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kitch69

kitch69 Thread Starter

After installing SP2 onto my Windows XP Pro it says that the firewall is not activated. So when i go to control panel to activate the new firewall its says:

'Windows Firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated service is not running. Do you want to start the Windows Firewall/Internet connection sharing (ICS service?'

I click yes and then get this message:

'Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/Internet connection sharing (ICS) service.'

So I click OK and nothing happens. I don't know how to start the firewall because it wont turn on, what associated service does it mean.
    Also in Network Connections in the control panel my cable modem does not show up even though my connection still works?

PLEASE HELP ITS REALLY BUGGING ME! :D

2. TheHaste

TheHaste

Go to
    Control Panel > Windows Firewall
    And manually start it there.
    Then open the Security Center panel back up and it should say your Firewall is now on.

3. kitch69

kitch69 Thread Starter

All that I described above is what happens when I try to open it manually. Ive tried everything but the 'associated service is not running'?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/266644

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice