1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows xp sp2 format error

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by vicky91, Dec 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vicky91

vicky91 Thread Starter

my system:
    DELL inspiron n5110-4gb ram-nvidia gt525 1gb-640gb hdd-preinstalled windows7 64 bit

need for format:
    i have to run turbo c++,cobol,java etc...(mainly would work only in 32 bit windows xp)

problem:
    i am into formatting a long time...5-6 years experience
    i wanted both the os if possible

this is what i did:
    put a windows xp disk(bootable..booted succesfully at ma desktop)..went past through press any button to boot from disk stage..all drivers loaded...and at end after "windows is starting up" at bottom,a death screen occurs showing hardware failiure/recent hardware changes
    it never ever enters
    the point where i enter i agree and goto partition table

tried with 2 versions of windows xp 32bit (sp2)and failed,meanwhile my friend with same laptop told he could format using a windows-xp 32 bit(sp3)
    what may be the real problem here

its not hardware issue,,,as i could install LINUX,WIN7,WIN8 all succesfully

now removed all existing partitions for a clean install...this too failed with windows xp sp2
    is windows xp sp2 the culprit?

next alternative::

i am thinking of getting into partition table using windows xp sp3 and then remove the disk and replace with sp2 and complete the procedure remaining

please reply fast
    vicky

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

I hope you have Win 7 recovery disks because making any changes to partitions will destroy your access to the recovery partition if you have one instead of the DVD.

Is this a SATA drive? If so, you may need to install the driver at F6 before XP will work.

3. vicky91

vicky91 Thread Starter

its an inspiron laptop

its working wonderfully with sata desktops witout F6

also i didn understand what u meant by F6

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Have you verified that it can identify and recognize SATA drives on other machines? (F6 is when you load drivers to access drives during XP setup.)

If XP SP2 cannot recognize the drive, you need to load drivers for it so it can.

Installing XP on a SATA drive

Installing XP on a SATA drive
    Install Windows XP on SATA without a Floppy
    Resolving "Setup did not find any hard disk drives" during Windows XP Installation

"Many newer BIOS allow an Alternate method for SATA . . Go into the BIOS and check the 'Sata Operation' setting, change it to 'Raid Autodetect/ATA' if it is not already. Now try to install XP (Verbiage will vary by manufacturer)" - Courtesy of simpswr.

BIOS settings to try:

5. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    The problem might be is there is no windows xp drivers listed for that model of computer on the dell website under drivers and downloads.I was going to purchase that model but when i saw no xp drivers i passed and bought another computer so i could either have and run windows xp or windows 7 without any driver problems.SP2 isnt supported anymore but that might be a moot point if you cant even find drivers for xp.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Here's a place where a VM might be handy. Run XP inside 7 just for the programming programs. They are not big CPU or graphics users, so they should run fine in a VM.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031754

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice