1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP SP2 IE7 error

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Yankeez, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Yankeez

Yankeez Thread Starter

If anyone can help please.

I encountered a problem when I installed IE7. I keep getting the error message,

"Application or DLL C:\windows\system32\DCIMAN32.dll is not a valid windows image. Please check against installation diskette."

I am also now encountering a lot of flickering on web page images.

Any help provided is appreciated.

Thank you.

Yankeez

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

It's a Microsoft display dll; your file in the system32 folder is corrupt.

You probably have a backup; look in c:\windows\servicepackfiles\I386 for it and copy it to the System32 folder.

My current version is 5.1.2600.2180

I've uploaded a zipped copy if you need it.

Attached Files:

3. Yankeez

Yankeez Thread Starter

Thank you for the information/advice. I'm obviously not as experienced as you at this. Is there any way you could walk me through this.

Thank you.

Yankeez

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

The easiest thing to do is just right click on my attached file, save it to a directory of your choice ("save target as"), then unzip it. To unzip it, just right click on it and select "Extract All" from the right click menu.

Once extracted, locate the file, right click on it and select "copy".

Now use Windows Exporer, or My Computer to navigate to c:\windows\system32.

Right click on an empty space in the directory and select "paste"; the file should be copied, probably with a warning that you are going to overwrite the existing one -- just ok that.

Hopefully that will be the last of your "bad image" message, and no more screen flicker after a reboot.

5. Yankeez

Yankeez Thread Starter

Thank you for your help. I'll try that.

6. Yankeez

Yankeez Thread Starter

I can get to the system32 folder, then I click on it, but it won't let me get to an empty space to paste anything after that. When I right click after getting past the system32 folder, I right click but paste isn't a highlighted option.

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I'm not sure I understand. Is the system32 folder opening for you? Just right click to the right of the column of files, not directly on any file.

If you are right clicking on the directory, and "paste" is greyed out, you have not copied the file.

Since the file is not valid, it should not be in use -- but if it is, you may have to boot in safe mode, from the F8 boot menu, to avoid a conflict.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539931

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice