1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP SP2 Media Edition Keeps Restarting

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by hopkils, Jan 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hopkils

hopkils Thread Starter

Hi, My Sony Vaio desktop started rebooting itself over and over on Thursday of this week. It was working fine Thursday morning. Before Thursday morning, actually Wednesday night. I ran a Malwarebytes anti-malware scan. I usually do this every other month to find infections. It could be that the Malwarebytes ran Wednesday night, I used it briefly Thursday morning, then after I used it, rebooted it to have the Malwarebytes removed files take effect. Also earlier in the week, I noticed that windows update did an automatic update. I dont know if the malwarebytes has caused the problem or not. Just my guess. Sometimes the computer would get to a good startup but with an error ati2dvag driver has stopped working normally. I think I was able to reinstall this video driver successfully and I've not seen this error again. But the computer still continues to restart itself over and over. I can get in safe mode. I tried the restore from last know good configuration. I tried in safe mode to restore to a restore point back to last Friday. I've searched many topics online/google/search. One of those articles http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/293344-windows-xp-keeps-restarting-at-startup/ suggested creating a startup CD. I did that, but cant copy this userinit file to anyplace because its not seeing the directory on c:. It only sees the CD drive. I also looked at this article on tech support guys http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/965536-my-computer-keeps-restarting.html which seems closer to what I'm experiencing. Would appreciate any help. I'm going to attach the malwarebytes log file. Right now, im running a registry checker to find any issues...

Attached Files:

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Running a registry checker - if by that you mean some sort of registry cleaning program, MAY leave you in a worst position than your are now.

I tend to interpret your post as you are NOT running any antivirus, you simply scan with MBAM.
    IF that is correct it is most unwise.

You do NOT copy the unserinit file from ANYWHERE - that is the benefits of that program from Artellos
    you simply type its adddress in the box. Dos type windows will flash by and the file will be added to the ISO

3. hopkils

hopkils Thread Starter

Yes I always do and have run antivirus software. I've finished running the registry cleaning and I still have the same problem. It keeps rebooting over and over. Does anyone have a solution.

4. Macboatmaster

With respect your reply does not really answer my post.
    I was asking "DO you have real time anti-virus protection" as the MBAM free edition does not provide this.
    ALSO
    you have not addressed the - you do not copy the userinit file

5. hopkils

hopkils Thread Starter

Sorry if I wasnt clear. Yes. I do run realtime antivirus protection. Regarding the userinit file, I have the file on the boot cd in the extrafiles folder as instructed in the aritical. Thats fine, its there on the CD. But when I continue to follow the instructions on that article in the recovery console at the C prompt, it instructs you to copy the userinit file to c:\windows\system32. For whatever reason, booting from that CD, the C drive doesnt have any files on it. I know thats not true and I have checked all the drive letters looking for where the hard drive is mounted.

6. Macboatmaster

Will the computer still boot to Safe Mode.
    You are NOT following the instructions OR you are not dollowing the right article.
    Go here.
    http://artellos.com/arcdc-page

Latest exe. download.
    The instructions are actually on the small image on the screen
    After downloading simply type what is on that screen in the box, that open when you click add files.

In otherwords this
    C:\Windows\System32\userinit.exe
    is what you are typing.

7. hopkils

hopkils Thread Starter

Yes that is done and it is fine. The CD is created with the userinit on the CD in the directory extra files. No problem here. Its in this article http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic...ng-at-startup/ that I am refering to where I can not copy the userint file to the c drive. Unless Im doing something wrong with the cd at boot time. There is really not much to do wrong though. It just comes up in windows setup and i go into "R" for recovery.

8. Macboatmaster

I am signing off for about 2 hrs.
    Will it boot in Safe Mode still.
    If so run "chkdsk c: /r" from cmd prompt. NOTE SPACE betwen c: and /.
    A five stage check, running Safe Mode, you will only see a flashing white cursor. when you reboot for chkdsk.
    See you later.

9. hopkils

hopkils Thread Starter

I was thinining the same thing to do chkdsk. When I ran that from the boot cd, its having trouble running the chkdsk program. gave me an error about an entry point. Im thinking chkdsk and this boot cd is not seeing the partitions correctly or something. Yes, i can still boot in safe mode and i see everything on the c drive and can even do stuff...

10. Macboatmaster

So have you started it then - chkdsk.
    START run, type cmd, in cmd window as per post 8

11. hopkils

hopkils Thread Starter

chkdsk didnt show any issues. i was also able to get the userint file on the c drive. no luck there either.

12. Macboatmaster

Pls post more info.
    When you reply will you please try and explain a little more the meaning of your post, this will help us both, as it will save time.
    Are you meaning that you now went back and ran the CD from Artellos.

13. Dan Penny

Dan Penny

Just a quick question. Is the CPU fan/heatsink assembly clear of dust? Ventilation ports?

If not, it could be restarting because of heat. When the machine boots, it goes into "high gear" running all the start up material. Once heat builds up because of this, it could be "cycling down".

14. blakcshadow

blakcshadow

is the computer able to be booted into safe mode?

15. Macboatmaster

blakcshadow
    From his orignal post

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974802

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice