Windows XP sp2 will not reinstall

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

drifter13

Long story short my comp got junked up with crap and spyware, and I decided that since i didn't have much important data on it that I would just do a completely fresh install of XP. I can't get my comp to get past the initial setup for XP (i created a streamlined verison with SP2, since,my XP pro version was very old). It will format my drive, and copy the initial setup files, but when it restarts it just reboots the cd and asks me if I want to install windows XP, and proceeds to format and setup files again. After about 6 tries im getting desperate and any help would be useful. I have read a number of XP reinstall guides, but i can't find any info pertaining to my specific problem.

my comp stats are
ASUS A8N-SLI motherboard
AMD Anthlon 3700
2 GB ram

I really don't want to have to drag my box to get repaired, so help would be greatly appreacited :)

After it is done with the CD stage, go into BIOS when it reboots, and switch the first boot device to your HDD.

david.amherst said:
After it is done with the CD stage, go into BIOS when it reboots, and switch the first boot device to your HDD.

Or - - - when the pc has loaded the setup files, when it reboots, DONT press the 'any' key to boot from cd.

drifter13

Yes i have my hdd as the primary boot device, but all that happens is that computer loads a bit the restarts over and over, with no windows screen loading.

I don't get the "press any key" message since my comp just restarts before anything like that shows up.

Hi,
If you are reinstalling windows,set the bios to boot from the cd first, the pc will then load all the setup files it needs from the cd then will reboot. DONT press the 'any' key to boot from cd at this stage.
The pc will now set up windows. - Just follow the prompts.

Or is your pc restarting whilst the setup files are loading?
If so, what is the last thing displayed on your pc before it restarts?

drifter13

1_rob_1 said:
Hi,
If you are reinstalling windows,set the bios to boot from the cd first, the pc will then load all the setup files it needs from the cd then will reboot. DONT press the 'any' key to boot from cd at this stage.
The pc will now set up windows. - Just follow the prompts.

Or is your pc restarting whilst the setup files are loading?
If so, what is the last thing displayed on your pc before it restarts?
I basically allow the XP to do a full format, and then it installs setups files, and I let it do the 15sec countdown and restart without touching anything. but when my comp restarts, it just doesn't contiune with instalation, i switch to hdd boot and all that happens is that it restarts. CD boot just leads back to windows install all over again.

hi i formated my laptop to get all the **** off it and when i did it just goes blank just a black page it comes you windows xp and then goes to a black screen i am not that good with computers but now a littel bit can anyone help me

thanks

ajjones:(

drifter13 said:
I basically allow the XP to do a full format, and then it installs setups files, and I let it do the 15sec countdown and restart without touching anything. but when my comp restarts, it just doesn't contiune with instalation, i switch to hdd boot and all that happens is that it restarts. CD boot just leads back to windows install all over again.
Your slipstreamed CD might be the culprit here. Have you tried your original XP installation CD to see if it works OK?

when mine says press any key to reboot from the cd i dont do it and when i dont do it it makes a beebing noise load ?

drifter13

bbearren said:
Your slipstreamed CD might be the culprit here. Have you tried your original XP installation CD to see if it works OK?
I actually made the slipsteam cd because the original was doing the same thing. I thought the older disk, which could not read my hdd size corecctly, was the culpurit, but the slipstream is having the same luck.

drifter13

bbearren said:
I'm guessing you have a large drive. This information might be helpful:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316505/
It would seem that I am getting my hardrive scaned properly, as it says about 286gb of memory, for what is 300gb drive (listed). Would you reccomend making maybe a smaller partition to install on, as opposed to installing all on one large drive?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online