1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP sp2 will not reinstall

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by drifter13, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. drifter13

drifter13 Thread Starter

Long story short my comp got junked up with crap and spyware, and I decided that since i didn't have much important data on it that I would just do a completely fresh install of XP. I can't get my comp to get past the initial setup for XP (i created a streamlined verison with SP2, since,my XP pro version was very old). It will format my drive, and copy the initial setup files, but when it restarts it just reboots the cd and asks me if I want to install windows XP, and proceeds to format and setup files again. After about 6 tries im getting desperate and any help would be useful. I have read a number of XP reinstall guides, but i can't find any info pertaining to my specific problem.

my comp stats are
    ASUS A8N-SLI motherboard
    AMD Anthlon 3700
    2 GB ram

I really don't want to have to drag my box to get repaired, so help would be greatly appreacited :)

2. david.amherst

david.amherst

After it is done with the CD stage, go into BIOS when it reboots, and switch the first boot device to your HDD.

3. 1_rob_1

1_rob_1

Or - - - when the pc has loaded the setup files, when it reboots, DONT press the 'any' key to boot from cd.

4. drifter13

drifter13 Thread Starter

Yes i have my hdd as the primary boot device, but all that happens is that computer loads a bit the restarts over and over, with no windows screen loading.

I don't get the "press any key" message since my comp just restarts before anything like that shows up.

5. 1_rob_1

1_rob_1

Hi,
    If you are reinstalling windows,set the bios to boot from the cd first, the pc will then load all the setup files it needs from the cd then will reboot. DONT press the 'any' key to boot from cd at this stage.
    The pc will now set up windows. - Just follow the prompts.

Or is your pc restarting whilst the setup files are loading?
    If so, what is the last thing displayed on your pc before it restarts?

6. drifter13

drifter13 Thread Starter

I basically allow the XP to do a full format, and then it installs setups files, and I let it do the 15sec countdown and restart without touching anything. but when my comp restarts, it just doesn't contiune with instalation, i switch to hdd boot and all that happens is that it restarts. CD boot just leads back to windows install all over again.

7. ajjones

ajjones

hi i formated my laptop to get all the **** off it and when i did it just goes blank just a black page it comes you windows xp and then goes to a black screen i am not that good with computers but now a littel bit can anyone help me

thanks

ajjones:(

8. bbearren

bbearren

Your slipstreamed CD might be the culprit here. Have you tried your original XP installation CD to see if it works OK?

9. ajjones

ajjones

when mine says press any key to reboot from the cd i dont do it and when i dont do it it makes a beebing noise load ?

10. drifter13

drifter13 Thread Starter

I actually made the slipsteam cd because the original was doing the same thing. I thought the older disk, which could not read my hdd size corecctly, was the culpurit, but the slipstream is having the same luck.

11. bbearren

bbearren

I'm guessing you have a large drive. This information might be helpful:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316505/

12. drifter13

drifter13 Thread Starter

It would seem that I am getting my hardrive scaned properly, as it says about 286gb of memory, for what is 300gb drive (listed). Would you reccomend making maybe a smaller partition to install on, as opposed to installing all on one large drive?

13. bbearren

bbearren

Definitely a smaller partition for the O/S.

Check this thread:

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/534500-partition-sizes-new-computer.html

14. drifter13

drifter13 Thread Starter

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537599

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice