1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP SP3 and Limited or No Connectivity Issue

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by blindscout, Apr 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blindscout

blindscout Thread Starter

This is driving me crazy I have run out of options and things to try so I am really hoping there is someone out there that knows better!

Here goes..

I have an ADSL router with my desktop computer connected to it as well as my laptop using CAT wires for both.
    Until a few days ago everything was fine when all of a sudden my desktop computer brought up a "Limited or No connectivity" error. My laptop normally connects to the internet and so I narrowed the issue down to my desktop computer.
    After fiddling around a bit here and there applying patches and trying different suggestions I found over the internet I ended up formatting my desktop computer to get it over with using Windows XP Professional SP3 CD.

The surprise? It didn't fix it... I downloaded the updated drivers for my network card and still nothing has changed.
    The network card installed is a Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC.

I cannot think of anything else to do whatsoever and so I'm starting to suspect a hardware failure here.. I don't know.

Hopefully someone has the answer.
    All efforts appreciated!
    THANKS!

2. Bernardo

Bernardo

No one has changed any settings on the router? Perhaps blocking computer IP addresses? If not, I'd suspect hardware failure as well.

3. amadeus-salvador

amadeus-salvador

I had similar issues when they upgraded to XP Service Pack 3. I narrowed it down to issues with the drivers for the router. In the end, I simply bought a newer router that supported XP Service Pack 3 and the problem was solved. I looked through quite a few reviews and found the Linksys routers worked best. Wished I had bought a new router to begin with, and saved me a lot of grief.

4. blindscout

@amadeus-salvador

Well it can't be the router because my laptop works fine and is using SP3.. :(

5. blindscout

Switching the network card to another slot worked like a charm!!

Solved. But I don't know why the slot was failing in the first place...

6. amadeus-salvador

amadeus-salvador

Possibly the Auto Detect for Devices is glitchy. I know with that certain slots or ports are preferred over others. I am not sure how they get configured that way. Well great that you got it to work. Often the simplest solutions work best.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917363

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice