Windows XP SP3 freezes with mid-high performance games.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

roshambembo

Hello all,

I've been scouring the net (clearly, to no avail) for an answer to my problem. At first, I thought finding an answer wouldn't be a problem at all, but I guess I thought wrong.

My problem is essentially this:
Whenever I run games that require medium to high performance from my comp in windows, after a bit of play, everything will just freeze. No warning, just freeze. All my drivers are up to date, I tried a clean install, I just can't figure out what it could be.

ANY IDEAS?

Thanks,

Alex

Howdy

Could be a heat issue.......or memory issue......try taking out one stick of memory and test then swap it for the other one and test......

Try to find out what temps your CPU and Video card are running at under load

you can try SpeedFan Here click on SpeedFan 4.38 and maybe nTune Here

roshambembo

THANKS so much for the tip. I downloaded and ran speed fan. Sure enough, the only fan running is my CPU0 fan... which can't be good for my system. Although, I have to say, the only other fan I'm aware of having in my chassis is the system fan. What are the Aux0, Aux1, and CPU1 fans? For now, I'm going to try and see what's wrong with my chassis fan.

Thanks again,
Alex

roshambembo

It was broken. So I replaced it. Temps have gone down... but i'm still freezing up. I read somewhere that it could be bad ram. Possible?

Yes thats why I suggested..swapping the Ram...taking one stick out and see ...have you defrag lately....what are the temps??

roshambembo

Yay for me. "I read somewhere..." Two posts above.
Nice.

So I tried testing my ram. Two sticks, 2GB each. Still froze with each individually.

Then I downloaded SpeedFan. Turns out my GPU is heating up to 71C in high performance games. Definitely bad. That was with Half-Life 2. Then I tried using my PS2 emulator, popped in a game, and started it up. The GPU temp was not nearly as high, around 55C. But one of the cores of my cpu was in the 60s and my hard drive was around 58C.

So it looks to me like I just don't have enough cooling in my rig. My case is an Antec Sonata II. I know I have room for three more fans, 1 120mm, 1 92mm, and 1 80mm. Should I go that route? Maybe it really is just the GPU, in which case, how should I solve that? I know there are VGA coolers out there. Any recommendations?

A LOT TO ASK, I KNOW. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online