Windows XP SP3 - Wireless issue

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bdesul

I would appreciate any help on the following matter:

I am running Windows XP SP3. I can connect to unsecured wireless networks, but not to secured networks.
That includes my own home network. I know that I am entering the correct parameters for my network but it just continually tries to connect and eventually fails. Same issue with other secure networks, that I have the correct settings for. Any ideas such as registry changes, etc? How would I turn on verbose logging to troubleshoot this matter and where is the log located? I have tried recreating my home network configuration many times and sometimes it doesnt save the most recent settings that I have entered. Thanks for the help.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Click "Report" and request to have your thread moved to the NETWORKING section.

TerryNet and some of the other networking gurus can help you much better there than in this section.

----------------------------------------------------------------

bdesul

Terry, Below is my IPCONFIG output and I have attached Networks tab from Xirrus. Thanks for the help.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig /all
Windows IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : xxxx-1005644
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : xxxx.com
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : xxxx.com
Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:
Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-22-FB-4E-9E-B2
Ethernet adapter Network Connect Adapter:
Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Juniper Network Connect Virtual Adap
ter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-FF-08-30-E6-8A
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : domain.actdsltmp
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82567LM Gigabit Network Con
nection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-24-E8-9E-B4-5B
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, January 12, 2011 6:57:02
PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, January 13, 2011 6:57:02 PM

Attachments

I would appreciate any help on the following matter:

I am running Windows XP SP3. I can connect to unsecured wireless networks, but not to secured networks.
That includes my own home network. I know that I am entering the correct parameters for my network but it just continually tries to connect and eventually fails. Same issue with other secure networks, that I have the correct settings for. Any ideas such as registry changes, etc? How would I turn on verbose logging to troubleshoot this matter and where is the log located? I have tried recreating my home network configuration many times and sometimes it doesnt save the most recent settings that I have entered. Thanks for the help.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

In order to connect to a secured wireless network, you must have the SSID (or WEP key) key (i.e., the login/access key) in order to be granted access. If this is an issue with your own wireless network, I would advise you to contact your ISP to have it reset. Also, you might want to check your network adapter version and determine whether or not it requires updating. This can be found under My Computer-->System Properties-->select the Hardware tab then select Device Manager.

For more information regarding this issue, please go to CNET.com.

Good luck....

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online