1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP SP3 - Wireless issue

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bdesul, Jan 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bdesul

bdesul Thread Starter

I would appreciate any help on the following matter:

I am running Windows XP SP3. I can connect to unsecured wireless networks, but not to secured networks.
    That includes my own home network. I know that I am entering the correct parameters for my network but it just continually tries to connect and eventually fails. Same issue with other secure networks, that I have the correct settings for. Any ideas such as registry changes, etc? How would I turn on verbose logging to troubleshoot this matter and where is the log located? I have tried recreating my home network configuration many times and sometimes it doesnt save the most recent settings that I have entered. Thanks for the help.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure you have the latest wireless driver; if it is an integrated adapter get the driver from your PC manufacturer's web site.

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. Also show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

3. bdesul

bdesul Thread Starter

Hey Terry. Is there a way that I can send this info without it being posted for anyone to see? It is my work computer.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    We only help in the public forum here. If the company name or something like that is showing you can edit or obscure it.

Since it is a work computer you really should be seeking help from your IT department. Our help here will be limited, as we do not want to do anything "behind the back" of your IT department.

5. bdesul

bdesul Thread Starter

Terry, I have tried with my IT dept multiple times and they cant figure it out.

I did make some progress though. I used the connection test from Xirrus to determine that the wireless adapter could not identify my DNS or Default Gateway. I was using DHCP, but hardcoded all my IP parameters. Now it connects, drops the connection very quickly, and does the same thing a couple more times then gives up. My wireless adapter recognizes my DNS entries, but it still cannot find the gateway.

Any thoughts? I will send you any info you need and obscure the company name if necessary.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    See post # 2. If you browse some of the other threads in Networking you'll see that etaf and I almost always ask for that information to start.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974108

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice