1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP SP3 won't shut down due to "sprtcmd.exe" , must manually end.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Mike82, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mike82

Mike82 Thread Starter

Hi guys, I haven't been here for a bit, but this place always solves my problems, so I am back again LOL!!!

Ok I have a Dell XPS computer with Windows XP SP3. Just yesterday it started acting up by when I went to shut it down (and it does this every time now) it says "ending program "sprtcmd.exe" , then unable to end program, so I have to end manually EVERY DARN TIME. This just started with shut down last nite. I did a system restore and that fixed it, BUT then my McCaffee Antivirus program said it can not load due to an error, basically the antivirus program got all screwed up, so I UN-DID the restore. Now the antivirus works well but the stupid "sprtcmd.exe" problem is back!!! :mad:

So I did that about 5 times picking different System Restore points each time and for some reason the McCafee screws up, so I had to undo each one.

Please help me out on this one guys!!!

Thanks a million ahead of time!

- Mike T

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

sprtcmd.exe is part of Dell Support Center, a utility that Dell claims will help keep your system up to date and running efficiently and creates detailed reports that can be used by Dell agents to help resolve any issues quickly.

I would go to Add/Remove Programs and delete Dell Support Center.

3. mskids

mskids

I am having same problem. Have windows XP MCE with SP3 on a Dell E510. A search of Dell support and google came up dry.

Uninstall seems to be only workaround for now. I have problem with the Dell Support 2.8 that I get on a system restore (from onboard Dell image) as well as the 3.0 version.

4. Mike82

Mike82 Thread Starter

Hey guys, thanks. Wow so you're having the prob too. Well I uninstalled the Dell Support Center, and everything was working just fine. Even the System restore no longer screwed up the McCafee as it was when I use it. HOWEVER, I downloaded the new version of the Support Center and re-installed it (the computer prompted me to download it, from its old version that I had left on.....) And lo and behold, the same problems began again!!! So I un-installed it again!!! Now the computer is working fine. I am thinking to uninstall BOTH versions of the Dell Support Center, then re-install a fresh copy that I manually get from their site maybe? Rather than letting the copy of the "older" version "request" the update.....because that obvioulsy brought back the SAME problems again....arghhh....and this all just started yesterday, what the heck....

Thanks guys, I'll try that by tomorrow and let you know what happens.

- Mike T

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755855

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice