1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Xp Startup Failure!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ellatica, Feb 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ellatica

ellatica Thread Starter

Ok here is the deal. I have a SR1430NX Compaq that has just severley malfunctioned. My brother was on the internet for a bit and then a blue screen popped up which we then shut off the computer, when we turned it back on we noticed that it said the system registry file was corrupt so we went on an other computer to fix the problem. we found the solution and went back to the malfunctioning computer to realize it shut off (I think my dad did that) when we turned it back on it went to the compaq splash, black screen with a dash, then repeated it self till the system shut down. I tried doing a complete windows restart but that did not work(built in rebooting functions on compaq splash), I then changed the BIOS to read the disk first and put in the Windows XP Home edition cd but it didn't read it. I don't know whats the problem and wold love to find out. if i can get any help that would be great.
    -Saif

2. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

You would want to set the bios to boot the cd first not the hd if you wanted to boot your home cd.

Does the bios see the hard drive? Sounds like it may have died?

3. ellatica

ellatica Thread Starter

I did set the bios to the cd. i also ran a check on the hard drive and it was perfect. no bad sectors.

4. ellatica

ellatica Thread Starter

Does anyone know what i should do?

5. NeoBix

NeoBix

How did you run a check on the hard drive if you cannot get into Windows?

Take the XP disc out of the cd drive and change the boot back to the hard drive and try to boot it from the drive again. If that doesn't work, put the XP cd back into the cd drive and change the boot back to the cd and try that again and let me know what happens.

6. Lost in Here

Lost in Here

The XP CD has some limitations.
    How many partitions and of what type do you have on the drive?

7. jmg3204

jmg3204

are you sure that the xp cd is a bootable cd? Most xp cd's boot on their own without having to change the boot options.

Did you make sure to put the cd in, turn the computer off, then turn it back on?

8. NeoBix

NeoBix

That's a good point. Some of the older XP CDs may have required you to change the boot I think but the newer ones might not.

9. ellatica

ellatica Thread Starter

I went to the geek squad in bestbuy and they did something and tshowed me that the harddrive was ok. i have used that xp cd before on another computer and i had to change the bios to boot from the cd then it said press any key ect.

10. NeoBix

NeoBix

What happens when you put the XP CD in and boot it from the cd rom drive? Nothing at all? Does it just stay in the BIOS?

Also, what is your CD rom drive doing after you put the CD in? Is the light blinking or anything or what? Obviously power is being fed to the drive or the disc tray wouldn't open up, but there could be a problem with the way the disc drive is reading the disc.

And check the disc and see if it is scratched/cracked/dirty and whatnot.

11. ellatica

ellatica Thread Starter

i restarted my computer put the cd in and it started blinking, spining then it whent to the splash again...and again

12. NeoBix

NeoBix

And the condition of the CD? Scratched? Anything?

How old is the computer?

Did the Windows XP Home Edition CD come with your computer or did you buy it separately?

13. jmg3204

jmg3204

id recommend getting another disk, somehow

14. Lost in Here

Lost in Here

It is possible no XP installation CD will work.

How many disk partitions are on the drive?

15. ellatica

ellatica Thread Starter

completeley new disk. computer is about 2 years old. 2 partions - C and D, also the disk i got at a computer store without licence as i already had it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/680674

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice