windows xp startup

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

titanania

Hi Tech Guys,
I was fixing up a computer for a friend's Christmas present. It is an older Celeron (900 MHz) and has 128 MB of RAM. The problem was the hard drive was corrupted and since the computer has only USB ports and no PS/2 ports, I took out the hard drive, put it in another case and then installed Windows XP Pro. Well, when I put it back in its orig. case, the computer acts like its starting up normally but after the little black and white bar loads, the computer just stops and sits there. When I rebooted, the computer presented me with a list of foptions for how to start Windows XP. however, the menu is useless because USB peripheals do not work b4 windows starts. Can anybody help me get this computer working? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

XP is hardware specific; it configures itself to the computer system. When you removed the hard drive from the computer and put it in another and loaded XP then put it back into the original system XP will look for the hardware specific to the installation. Not being there XP will lock or not load at all! I would run a repair. XP should load the appropriate USB support.

Depending on how old or new the motherboard is, you can configure it through bios to use the usb ports for your mouse and keyboard as defaults.

titanania

how do i configure the bios to do that? I'm pretty good at working with stuff after Windows starts but before Windows starts I'm pretty illiterate..... So how do I configgure it?

For most systems, just hold down the "delete" key when your system boots up, if not, the key to enter the bios is usually listed on screen.

Once you've entered the bios, locate the "integrated peripherals" page. If your motherboard isn't too old, it should have the option of enabling the "usb keyboard support". After its enabled, just save and exit.

titanania

i cant do that bc the keyboard and mouse are only USB and wont allow me to enter the bios

I reread your situation and your biggest problem is that you installed windows on a different system. Windows doesn't like being imported from one computer to another, which is why it hangs up after the windows screen. I experienced the same thing with my new system. There is a way around it but it would require you to go through the windows repair console and repair the boot config. You would also have to delete the drivers specific to the machine you installed it on. After thats done, it might let you start windows. It didn't work for me but some people have had limited success doing this. If it does work, you would have to install new drivers. Its a huge hassle and you would be better off just formatting the disk and intalling windows on the host machine instead. This is of course, if you manage to find a way to use a mouse and keyboard. It quite odd to find a computer without a ps/2 port. The old 486 machines had a standard serial connection for the keyboard, and current ones of course use the ps/2 port. what motherboard is the host machine using?

titanania

its a gateway mobo that i bought in the machine for 5 dollars dont know the brand or type except it supports celeron. So how would i delete the drivers specific to the machine w/o the keyboard or mouse being supported???

titanania said:
its a gateway mobo that i bought in the machine for 5 dollars dont know the brand or type except it supports celeron. So how would i delete the drivers specific to the machine w/o the keyboard or mouse being supported???
This would explain alot of things. First off, gateway, like most other vendors such as dell have their own little repair cds. They have specific drivers for their machines. Using their machines for parts aren't very feasible, especially their motherboards. To troubleshoot this, you would need a gateway technician.

titanania

no everything that is in the case is the original stuff. It is a Gateway case with a GW CD drive and a GW HD with GW RAM. The only reason I didn't install Windows XP on it as soon as it crashed instead of moving it is bc the pre-Windows startup will not support my USB keyboard and I cannot figure out how to make them recognized w/o a PS/2 keyboard.

titanania said:
no everything that is in the case is the original stuff. It is a Gateway case with a GW CD drive and a GW HD with GW RAM. The only reason I didn't install Windows XP on it as soon as it crashed instead of moving it is bc the pre-Windows startup will not support my USB keyboard and I cannot figure out how to make them recognized w/o a PS/2 keyboard.
Ok... maybe I''m just not understanding the situation so I'm going to break down my interpretation of the problem.

The gateway machine in question does not have a ps/2 port
titanania said:
The problem was the hard drive was corrupted and since the computer has only USB ports and no PS/2 ports
It will not allow you to do anything because it will not recognize your usb keyboard.

Windows will only load up to the windows screen with the horizontal scrolling bars before it freezes. (ok, this part I already addressed in a previous post)

It seems to me that since the gateway only has usb ports for the keyboard and mouse, it should have a usb keyboard support as the default setttings. The only advice I can offer you is to try and reset the motherboard by manually clearing the cmos on the motherboard with a jumper. If that doesn't work, well I just don't know what else to do. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Just want to add it seems odd that an "old" gateway does not have a mouse port. Any identification of the model on the case?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online