1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP System Restore

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by booler25, Sep 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. booler25

booler25 Thread Starter

When a system restore is required, do the document files, such as word, get restored to the restore point date? I have files that have been amended since the last known good configuration date...don't want to lose information.

2. BUCK_EYE_66

BUCK_EYE_66

Good news!
    Pictures and other "documents" remain unchanged.
    Only applications and associated files added since the Restore Point are removed.
    And, the System Restore is reversible.

3. booler25

booler25 Thread Starter

If I lost all that information, I'd be in a tough situation. Can't believe I didn't back up! Our administration talked about going back 2-3 years ago, before we added a bunch of applications & software...then talked about going back to the original start up date using install disks...don't know what is the best or even possible to do....

How and why is system restore reversible?

Thanks again

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

It isn't reversible because once you go back, there is no forward date to use but it does not touch files and data, only programs and settings.

5. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

BTW it DOES touch (/undo) files that are on the Windows desktop.

6. booler25

booler25 Thread Starter

Thanks for the help!

So far, here's what I understand to be correct:

System restore will not change any files or documents...AS LONG AS those files or documents are not on the desktop.

There is no forward date from the 'restore date', once the system restore has been completed. So, once I system restore on 9/20, no prior dates are available if another system restored is needed...making system restore irreversible....

7. BUCK_EYE_66

BUCK_EYE_66

I realize that you are in a predicament. However, after reading the later responses. You have been given wrong information (not by me). If you use the built in system restore. Your documents are NOT modified. No matter where they are located. System Restore is reversible. By going through the same procedure. Except you must choose the option of UNDO my last restoration. (y)
    I tested this again on one of my "test" computers JUST FOR YOU! It does NOT modify documents ONLY applications. No matter where they are! :)

Side note to someone else...I hope most of your posts are correct

8. booler25

booler25 Thread Starter

Thanks! I appreciate you going the extra mile to help me out!

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

Can you show me this in writing as I have never seen where that is possible in the past when I tried.

10. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

11. etch

etch

all i know about system restore is that it restores system files ( the pre-setuped programes ) into thier first state - or even remove them if they were setuped after the restoration date - nothing would happen to the files stored on the HD i think.

12. BUCK_EYE_66

BUCK_EYE_66

First of all we need to distinguish between "documents", "executables", "applications", and "application extensions". That said, documents that have been modified, or created, since the creation of the chosen restore point are NOT modified, or removed, by a System Restore. (y)

Next, anybody who has not "undone" a system restore should try it.

Here is a little trick I figured out. If you have added executable files that you don't want wiped during a system restore. Change the file extension from .exe to .ex
    Then change it back after the system restore. But, this trick will only work with files that don't have associated registry entries. Example: Installation executables. And, Stand Alone programs. It the file is dependant on associated registry entries, it may not "run" after a system restore :D

Go to the link provided by WhitPhil "System Restore and Desktop Files" Halfway down the page:

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

Thanks folks, that's one I never knew! And so you can actually replace something that was removed, awesome. I guess my ignorance is caused by the fact I never enable System restore on my systems as I use Acronis weekly and don't want to give up the space it takes, but I could swear I tried that one time...oh well.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/751505

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice