1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP Taskbar Problems on Startup

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by AnvariX, Jul 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnvariX

AnvariX Thread Starter

Hello all,

New to the forum and rather hoping I can find a solution to my woes here.

Recently, everytime I load up my computer, log in under my user name, Windows loads up like normal, with one minor difference. The start button, taskbar, and system tray are all completely unresponsive. My cursor turns to an hourglass whenever it hovers over any of the aforementioned. About half of the normal icons in my System tray are present, so it seems as if it all half-loads and then somehow just freezes. Through the task manager, or desktop icons, I can still do everything as normal, except windows don't show in the taskbar, etc - as it is frozen. The windows key is unresponsive also.

Searching on Microsoft's support, they said to disable to SSMP adapter, which I did to no avail. Hoping others might have some ideas.

I've already loaded up in Safe Mode (with the taskbar working) and run Lavasoft's Ad-Aware, the VX2 Add-On for Ad-Aware, Trend Micro's CWShredder, Norton Anti-virus, and defragged my harddrive without any change.

It seems to be a start-up problem. I also don't think it's a hardware issue so much as software; given that it seems to work fine in Safe Mode. aI also heistate to mention it, but it might possibly be a recent change I made where I am using Stardock's ObjectDock program, the paid for version. However, I used the free one for months on end without problem.

Anyways, please any help would be immensely appreciated. I'll be more than happy to post any system info you guys might think you need.

I'm using a Dell Inspiron 9300 Notebook, with WinXP SP2. Wireless connection.

Thanks in advance!

2. bbearren

bbearren

As a general rule of thumb, if you make a change in your system, (new software install, new/updated driver install, new hardware, etc), and things start acting screwy, undo whatever you did, and see if the system acts normally again.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485653

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice