1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP - Telnet

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sportscrazy, Jun 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sportscrazy

sportscrazy Thread Starter

Hi, I recently heard about a program called telnet (I know, where has he been?). I Google'd it to find out what it was all about and I can't seem to find anything that is clear to me. So can anyone explain to me any of the following questions? Any answers are appreciated! :D

- What is it?
    - What is it used for?
    - Can I use it by going to Start>Run>telnet.exe or do I need something else?
    - What are some basic commands and functions of telnet?

Thanks again,
    Sports :D

2. Rick1953

Rick1953

3. sportscrazy

I've looked at that article and it's not making any sense to me, I need an explanation that will dumb it down for me. :eek:

4. Rick1953

Rick1953

The second link is about as simple as it can be explained.
    Exactly what is it you want to use Telnet for?

5. AtechGuy

AtechGuy

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/T/Telnet.html

(telĀ“net) (n.) A terminal emulation program for TCP/IP networks such as the Internet. The Telnet program runs on your computer and connects your PC to a server on the network. You can then enter commands through the Telnet program and they will be executed as if you were entering them directly on the server console. This enables you to control the server and communicate with other servers on the network. To start a Telnet session, you must log in to a server by entering a valid username and password. Telnet is a common way to remotely control Web servers.

6. sportscrazy

Thats what I would like to find out, is it useful for anything that I can use?

PS. I do run a small website on a free server for some friends, so if I can access my site through telnet then that's one potential use. My site's URL: http://cheeco.topcities.com/

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/476225

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice