1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP Temp Files

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Weavernater, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Weavernater

Weavernater Thread Starter

I Recently Purchased Grand Theft Auto IV For My PC and was trying to install it but when it was about a quarter of the install bar was done a popup came up and said about an error an then the Windows error report thing came up and said that there was a error with a temp file called 2a3_appcompat.txt I searched around in the temp folder and found nothing so i the used the search option to search the whole computer and still nothing so now i am stumped because i think it has been deleted. Can anyone help with finding it or somehow getting it back :confused:

Much Obliged

Weavernater

2. JennyJackson01

JennyJackson01 Account Closed

Hiya Weavernater.

Follow this path ...

Open My Computer / C drive / Documents and Settings / [your name].
    Now go to the Tools drop-down menu at the top of the page, click Folder Options and click the View tab.
    Put a spot in the `Show hidden files and folders`, Apply it and OK to close the box.
    Now open the faded Local Settings folder and then the Temp folder and delete everything in it.
    Reset the Folder Options to `Do not show hidden files and folders`, Apply and OK.
    Go to C / WINDOWS / Prefetch folder and delete everything in it and now empty the recycle bin for C drive.

Try re-installing GTA 4.

Jenny

3. liquid_vision

liquid_vision

Hi Weavernater.

The nature of a temp file is just as it sounds - they are temporary, and should only exist for a single purpose, normally during an installation/configuration process.

Odds are, if this file is expected by the installer, and not found, it will throw an error which might not necessarily be that critical....

What happens when you try to launch the game? Has the installer actually managed to finish?

Also, which version of WinXP are you running?

GTA IV requires a minimum of SP3 in order to install.

Finally, can you be a bit more specific on the error? It's almost impossible to provide any help unless we know what to look for.

Alex

4. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

There is no error with the 2a3_appcompat.txt file.
    What the error dialog says is:
    The following files will be included in this error report:
    Followed by the path to the user's temp folder and the above file name.
    The part before _appcompat.txt is randomly generated.

Once you choose send or don't send, the file is deleted.

The Exception Information block is the actual error information that describes the error, followed by your system information, and a list of all loaded modules.

If you want to look at the 2a3_appcompat.txt file, open it before you close the error window. Probably won't be much use to you, it just lists the compatibility settings for programs, I don't recall if it's just for those running at the time (most likely) or for all installed programs:
    Click Start | Run (or press WinKey+R)
    type %temp% and press Enter. This will open the temp folder regardless of your view settings.

Also, do not delete the contents of the Prefetch folder unless you are having a specific prefetch issue. Doing so will only slow down the loading of applications and make your system boot slower until the prefetch folder is rebuilt.
    See these articles for some good info on Prefetch:
    Beware of Bogus XP Advice
    One more time: do not clean out your Prefetch folder!

5. JennyJackson01

JennyJackson01 Account Closed

Hiya OutCaste.

Thanks for the info on the prefetch folder. I`ve always thought that flushing it was a good idea but obviously not.

Jenny

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917414

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice