1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP, Thinkpad 21 hangs during boot screen.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by christen25, Jul 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. christen25

christen25 Thread Starter

I have a Thinkpad T21 with Windows XP SP2. The issue is that when I startup the laptop, during the Windows XP loading screen (the wone right before the login screen), the system becomes unresponsive. The wireless PCI card goes on and the Caps Lock and Num Lock lights blink, then everything hangs.

I am able to get to Safe Mode, and have disabled all startup items. Also disabled as many services as possible. We did a reformat and the same issue has occurred after reinstalling some software. I did suspect that this may be a driver issue, but I checked the Device Manager and did not find any issues with any of the devices. Note I also removed the PCI card from the system.

I suspect that this may be a driver or service issue. I am not exactly sure any there are too many places to look.

Anyone have any recommendations? Thank you.
    -christen25

2. daniel_b2380

daniel_b2380

Thinkpad T20 / T21
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-4K7H9M
    from the generic user manual:
    ram: 128mb - 512 max

trying to install / use xp on this unit is not going to be an easy chore as it is very lacking in the minimums for xp - doubt there were any drivers

for the specifics on your particular unit, you may start here:
    ibm / lenova has a very easy site to find info on, and, in that YOU have the info needed,
    start with this:

Finding my product number (machine type / model or part number) and serial number

User's guides and manuals

Support & downloads

3. christen25

We just did a reinstall of Windows XP on a Thinkpad T21. Full format of a 40 gig HD. During installation, the computer hangs at 31-33% of installing drivers. No issues during format or copying of files.

This could be an error with the hard drive and some of the files being unreadable or could be a driver issue. Take in mind that Windows XP installed fine before. Though a hardware issue, there are no other devices installed on the computer that could be causing this.

-christen25

4. daniel_b2380

daniel_b2380

the formatting / installing the files is a totally different subject than the loading / using it

i agree, you COULD have those errors
    you can check a harddrive :)
    where are you going to get the drivers if ibm / lenova never wrote them? :(

5. christen25

Windows is so difficult to troubleshoot, especially when you can't see the error. I'll try to use some diagnostic tools from the Ultimate Boot CD. Any other recommendations?

6. daniel_b2380

daniel_b2380

yes
    the first thing you need to do is install the chip set driver

BUT:

7. christen25

Just a guess that drivers are an issue. Lights on the PCI card light up then system freezes. During reinstall of XP, system freezes during driver install. Just thought of something: If there is a bad block on the HD, I can install 2 installs of XP. The first one wouldn't work, but the corrupt block would be written over and never used. The second XP install would be reading only the good sectors of the HD. That's what happened to the previous HD. I just forgot. I'll try this since I don't have any 3rd party HD utils yet.

8. christen25

DOS Hardware tools take forever. The HD I let be scanned for 2 hours, and there were some bad sectors detected, but the program wouldn't stop, kept detecting the same error. I don't know if the program was looping or not.

So I installed XP. Same issue, The constant freezing when running, then during XP. So I did another install of Windows XP beside the first XP (I did not do a reformat, just installed Windows again in another folder). This has worked for me previously, more than once, on my older 20GB HD. If there are bad sectors on the HD, they must have been written and therefore being accessed with the first install of Windows XP.

Install was smooth. No plm. First boot was great. After installing the Viewsonic (Broadcom 802.11g) PCI Wireless card, system worked for a few more minutes. Did an install of Yahoo! Messenger, and then the system froze. Rebooted the laptop, and the freezing happened after a couple of minutes. So far freezing has been in random areas.

Same freezing as before... so I reformat again and install Linux Mandrake 10.1 (I had a copy in my little CD case). No issue at all. Linux runs fine. Only plm is that I am unable to install the drivers for the wireless card - plus user-error with Unix - I'm just not that familiar with the OS. I haven't touched a Linux box in years.

I am currently doing a data wipe of the HD with a utility in the Ultimate Boot CD.

Could this also be due to overheating of the laptop, much like the Xenon boarded Xbox 360? Assistance please... a system that just freezes with no error messages and becomes inaccessible during boot screen of Windows XP I concluded as a hardware error, until Linux works fine.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/844786

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice