1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP time/date clock looses time after shut down.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by turcsanski, Sep 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. turcsanski

turcsanski Thread Starter

I have a 4 year old computer that runs perfectly, except when I turn it off at night and then back on the next day, I loose a few hours on the time date at bottom of screen. I ajust each time I use it but the same thing happens each time I turn it off. Could it be the clock battery or ? My operating system is Windows XP Home
    Thanks Lc

2. The Hound

The Hound

Welcome to TSG...A bad CMOS battery will cause your machine to lose time. If the system is four years old, you're eligible for that issue...also, if the system has spent any lengthy amount of time (weeks or more) unplugged from AC power, it's more likely to happen.

Next reboot (after leaving it overnight), enter BIOS (setup) and see if the time there is slipping as well.

The battery itself (if that's what's bad) is cheap to replace...less than five bucks.

Please give us some specs on the hardware-make, model, etc.-and we can help you with battery replacement instructions.

3. turcsanski

turcsanski Thread Starter

The best I can tell it is a x86 Family Model 8 Stepping 0 AuthenticaAMD 1674 Mhz
    Model AWRDACPI

Thanks for the information given so far.

4. The Hound

The Hound

Watch the first screen to appear when you turn the machine on--it should tell you which key to press to enter setup/BIOS. Often it's del or F1, but your machine may be different.
    Do this after the machine has been off for a while, and check the time in the BIOS. If that clock is losing time as well, then I'd definitely say it's a battery.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/619154