1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows xp to 98 me

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by cjbtaylor, Dec 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cjbtaylor

cjbtaylor Thread Starter

Help, ive installed XP professional onto my laptop which had Millennium Edition on it. I did a fresh reboot from the cd and not an upgrade. I want to go back to ME, when I reboot from the ME disk I get the usual recovery screen but it says "NTFS is installed on the first hard disk. This partition must be erased to allow the system recovery. All data will be erased. Would you like to continue." When I press erase I get a black screen with "Label not found" and the following :- A:\>_ Does anyone know what to do next. The reason I want to do this is my modem does not work now and I have no software for it , i have tried the drivers on xp already but to no avail.

2. angel

angel

Do you mean Windows 98 or Windows ME?

Either way, I guess...
    When you installed XP, it converted your partition(s) to the NTFS file system. Neither 98 or ME (depending on which you meant) can read that - only FAT or FAT32.

Can I ask why you want to go back? Are you having problems? Maybe we can help you resolve them. Otherwise, you're going to need to fdisk/reformat to install the previous OS.

3. angel

angel

cjbtaylor PM'd me:
    Are you familiar with how to fdisk? Do you have a boot disk?
    Is there any data on this laptop that you don't have backed up?
    I don't know of anyway to convert NTFS to FAT32. Pretty sure PartitionMagic doesn't provide this option. That means that everything on the drive would be lost if you want to reinstall ME.

What programs are you having a problem with? Maybe we can find you some updates?
    Personally, I would NEVER go back to ME. That OS has some major issues. And I just LOVE XP!

4. cjbtaylor

cjbtaylor Thread Starter

Basically I cant get my Modem to work, I have tried the XP set up in settings/ modems but it doesnt work, i am getting a bit frustrated . As for your comment on ME I make you right, I hate it its always crashing . hope you can help

5. angel

angel

Do you know the brand/model of the modem?

6. cjbtaylor

cjbtaylor Thread Starter

the modem is HAMR5600 voice modem

7. angel

angel

Try <a href="http://www.smlink.com/download/HAMR5600/Drivers/HAMR56-V2.90-MV-WINXP.zip">this</a> XP driver.

8. cjbtaylor

cjbtaylor Thread Starter

am trying this link now will let you know when i have installed it on the laptop. thanks for your help so far, may need u again, FINGERS CROSSED I WONT cheers

9. angel

angel

Either way, let us know how it goes!

10. cjbtaylor

cjbtaylor Thread Starter

hi, i downloaded the driver and copied it to my laptop but it has no exe file to install it

11. angel

angel

It's a zip file so you'll need a utility to unzip it such as winzip.

12. cjbtaylor

cjbtaylor Thread Starter

sorry Angel, ive got the zipfile on my computer, do I need to unzip it to a certain folder or just programs, also what do I do next to get it to look at the driver
    I appreciate your help, its nice to know your their

13. angel

angel

You can choose to unxip it to any folder you like (just remember what it is!). Then go through the modem installation as you did before but say Have Disk and point it to that folder.

14. cjbtaylor

cjbtaylor Thread Starter

will try that and let you know. thanks alot

15. cjbtaylor

cjbtaylor Thread Starter

thanks Angel, it all works well now, im a happy bunny once again.

Merry Christmas

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60543

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice