1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP Turning off

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by alijay, Feb 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alijay

alijay Thread Starter

My Pc won't switchoff normally. I have to click on LOG OFF then go to SWITCH USER then TURN OFF COMPUTER then TURN OFF. Box opens up with "Other people are logged on this computer. Shutting down Windows might cause them to lose data. do you want to continue?" I then click on YES and it logs off and shuts down. I've reinststalled Windows and the thing runs OK for a few days and then the problem comes back. I know it isn't a major prob but it is annoying. Any advice?
    Regards Alijay

2. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

Yes. Some more info on what happens when you select "Log Off" or "Shut Down."

3. alijay

alijay Thread Starter

To XPSP2. When I click on LOG OFF a" Log Off Windows" box appears with SWITCH USER or LOG OFF in it . I click on SWITCH USER and TURN OFF COMPUTER appears bottom left of Desktop. I click on this and "Turn Off Computer" box appears with STANDBY, TURN OFF, RESTART options I click on TURN OFF and Windows box appears with message "Other people are logged on etc." I click on Yes and PC logs off and shuts down. Haven't seen any option to "Shut Down". If I click on START-TURN OFF COMPUTER-TURNOFF nothing happens
    Regards Alijay

4. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

When you click log off here, nothing happens?

5. alijay

alijay Thread Starter

Yes nothing happens. The only way I can switch off other than the main button on the tower is to go through the procedure as described.

6. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

7. alijay

alijay Thread Starter

Dear XPSP2
    Many thanks, have read the Kelly's Korner link. The cure looks more painful than the problem so I think I'll stick with a slow shut down but thanks for the interest shown. Regards Alijay

8. blaqDeaph

blaqDeaph

It simply means that there are other people logged into the system at the same time. If you don't want to have more than 1 person ogged in at the same time you can disable it in the user control panel settings

9. alijay

alijay Thread Starter

Dear blaqDeaph
    Sorry but I'm the only person logged on. User Accounts show me as Computer Administrator and Guest Account switched off.
    Regards Alijay

10. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

What happens when you click "start", "Turn Off Computer?" You don't need to log off first, if you select this, it will log you off.

11. alijay

alijay Thread Starter

To XPSP2
    When I click "start","Turn Off Computer" the Turn off computer box appears but when I click on Turn Off nothing happens! This is when I discovered by clicking on "start" and then "log off" I could go through the procedure described in my first message to shut down.
    Regards Alijay

12. blaqDeaph

blaqDeaph

Yea, but it will prompt you that other people are logged in, and ask you if you don't mind logging them off in the process of shutting down the computer, which is what the topic is about.

13. ferrija1

ferrija1

Before you turn off, try going to the Task Manager and click on the Users tab. See if there are any other users than you.

14. VAComputerSvcs

VAComputerSvcs

I suggest running an anti-spyware scan with Ad-aware and Spybot. And, give it a shot to scan with Stinger (http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/)
    What virus scanner do you have? ... have you updated it recently?

I ask this because I've seen this issue on a few other people's system and it was a virus running as a different user in the background. Let us know if this helps. :)

15. tsiris

tsiris

Another way of shuting down your computer:
    Right click -> New Shortcut. In the location field
    type "shutdown -s -t 00" without the quotes and you're ok.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542368

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice