Windows XP updates

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

derekwc

Over the last couple of years I've downloaded many updates for Windows XP and they now show up on the add/remove programmes in Controla panel. I'm running low on space on my system hard drive so do I have to keep alll these downloads?
Thanks in advance.:rolleyes:

derekwc,Yes you do :(
do what I do and go to your local PC repair shop and ask if they have any used hard drives laying around that they want to sell, I get them all day long for $5.00 or $10.00 :)
Or burn your personal files to cd-dvd and then delete them off the PC.
confirm that you can actually open and see the files on the disc on another PC before deleting them though, just to be safe.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Remove the checkmark from the "Show Updates" box in the Add/Remove Programs window, then you won't see that long list of updates and hotfixes anymore.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Some easy ways to reclaim hard drive space:

Right-click RECYCLE BIN, click Properties, move the slider from 10% to 3%, then click Apply - OK.

Right-click MY COMPUTER, click Properties - System Restore(tab), move the slider from 12% to 3%, then click Apply - OK.

Open the C:\Windows\Temp folder, then delete everything from inside that Temp folder.

Open the C:\Documents And Settings\(Username)\Local Settings\Temp folder, then delete everything from inside that Temp folder.

Empty the Recycle Bin, then restart.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

redoak

Gone but never forgotten
flavalee: Isn't it possible to regain HDD space by deleting long ago "Uninstalls" of Ws' updates? [C>Windows- at the very top]. I know that the first two or three entries should not be deleted! However, those that start with "$NtUninstall" are ok, I believe.

Am I correct?

{redoak}

you can try haha, but you will be my guinea pig....
was wondering a long time if i can do that, but never try hehe....
for now you can run Disk Cleanup ^^ to gain a little space back or simply purchase another HDD like advised.
they are cheap now... 500GB for like less than $100

redoak

Gone but never forgotten
Timmy69: I have done it in the past with no ensuing problems. This was done per advice here at TSG, but I wanted concurrence from "flavallee" before confidently repeating the advice.

{redoak}

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Redoak:

I've deleted the $NtUninstallKB123456$ folders and their matching KB123456.log files and then removed their matching entries in the Add/Remove Programs list. It never caused me any problem afterwards, but it's something that I don't publicize and encourage beginners and novice users to do. The steps that I mentioned in post #3 are safer and easier to do and usually reclaim more hard drive space.

----------------------------------------------------------------

redoak

Gone but never forgotten
flavallee: Thanks for the reply/info. I was unaware of the additional places where "uninstalls" may be eliminated.

Per your reluctance to mention them, I will not recommend these procedures.

{redoak}

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online