1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP Upgrade and Installation Difficulty

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by 007DKNY, Dec 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 007DKNY

007DKNY Thread Starter

I have recently installed Windows XP Home Edition on two of my computers. On computer #1 everything seems to be working very well except that when I try and use Word the Windows installer screen pops up then the program opens and then a couple of seconds later the Microsoft Office XP Professional Activation Wizard starts and then a screen pops up and it asks me to insert my Windows XP Office Professional Disk. After I put the disk in it acts as if it is going to start the installation and then almost immedately is says that it is finished and closes without installing anything or correcting the problem. This has also been the case with Excel and any of the other Windows programs that come as a part of XP Office Professional and I can't seem to fix it.
    On computer #2 the problem is much different. During the installation a window opens asking for my XP Home Edition disk, which of course is already in my CD rom drive. It asks for files from the disk, when I try to point by browsing to the CD rom, the CD rom drive does not appear on My Computer as if there is no CD rom drive installed on the computer at all so in order to continue I am required to select cancel in order to proceed which causes the installer to skip the file installation that it is requesting. It does this 2 times during the installation and when it is finished the program comes up and seems to run fine until you try to use any of the help or support options and then it just does nothing. Simply no response. This computer is connected to a hub which connects it to a server which runs Windows NT, there are 3 other computers which connect to the server and when I try to access the server I can see the folders on each of the computers that are connected but when I try to access them it gives me and error message which says that I do not have permission by the system administrator or that the network has not been installed or is not working. That may just have to do with incompatibility between XP and Windows NT but I don't know for sure and don't want to screw up the server by trying to install an update or something that cause the whole network to go down. I am also unable to access my broadband connection on this machine in order to get online while at work unless I by pass the broadband and use my modem. The idea behind all of this was to use the feature that enables you use remote assistance so that I could connect to my computer at work from home and work that way I have tried that and it does not work either. I have use a program called Timbuktu in the past to access my compter at work from home but that program won't work now as well. Ultimately what I would like to do is to uninstall XP on my computer at work and go back to Windows 98 which is the operating system used by the other computers on the network but there is not an uninstall feature anywhere to be found. How can I accomplish the switch back without rendering the computer completely useless. There is not really anything on the compter's hard drive that I am concerned about losing because most everything is stored on the server I just don't know the proper procedure to follow. I thought about using f-disk but I don't know what the outcome of that would be so I decided to write this huge message to you in hope that someone out there could help me with these problems that surely could have been avoided if I had done my homework on the installation process, a mistake I have learned from for sure. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it. Thanks for your time in reading this rather long explanation even if you are as confused about it as I am and if you are not confused thanks in advance for any help you can provide. My email address is [email protected] or [email protected] or [email protected]. Thanks again.
    Benjamin Kunz

2. Dan O

Dan O

First thing, it is illegal to install Windows XP on more than one PC. Each PC must have their own license copy.

To uninstall Windows XP if you upgraded Windows 98/Me, goto Add/Remove Programs within the Control Panel and click Uninstall Windows XP. Another option is start in Safe Mode (press F8 during boot up) and at a Command Prompt run: osuninst.exe
    and follow the instructions. XP is completely compatible with NT. I think your access problem is that the XP install was not completed successfully.

As to why your second PC install did not work I would check and verify that the PC and all components are on the Microsoft XP compatibility list, I suspect not.

Good luck.

3. 007DKNY

007DKNY Thread Starter

Dan O,
    Thanks for your advice hopefully it will help me, I will find out later today. I did purchase 2 copies of Windows XP one for each computer, I have just been running the installations basically at the same time and was having trouble with both so I thought that I would include questions about both in the same post. Nothing illegal here. If anyone else has any ideas for my previous post I would love to hear your comments or thoughts. Thanks again Dan, until next time.
    Benjamin Kunz

4. Dan O

Dan O

Hopefully others will comment as well. But please let us know how you make out, it helps everyone.

5. Brooks

Brooks Guest

The problem with office has been around for awhile now. I first noticed it with Office 2000.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q265194

I also had one that this would not fix, I just installed it under the account that needed to use it this seemed to fix the problem.

If the uninstall option is not available to you then try this.
    http://www.tweakxp.com/tweakxp/display.asp?id=392

All fdisk would do is completly wipe everything from the drive and allow you to resetup 98 as a new install.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62342

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice