1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP Upgrade- Vista DVD boot up

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by pcv, Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pcv

pcv Thread Starter

I have a Dell E520, Pentium 4 HT, 2GB Ram. I beleive im running a 32-bit processor(Windows XP). i just decided to upgrade to Vista

I have a genuine Windows Vista Home Premium retail dvd. When I insert it into the PC and try to open the setup, it freezes and when I try to insert it and boot from dvd( after it says press any key to boot from dvd) all I get is a black screen with a little _ in the top left.

Can someone please tell me whats going on? The Vista DVD is in perfect condition and this seems to be the only DVD that doesnt work.

2. jrbuergel

jrbuergel

First Name:
    Jim
    I suggest to boot into the BIOS setup screen to check your boot device order, and the other CD/DVD optical drive settings. The computer may not be new enough to support the minimum Vista hardware requirements, so check that at the Microsoft site. There is also most likely a small recovery partition on that Dell hard drive as well, which can make upgrade installs harder.

3. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

It's also highly likely that Dell will allow in only a Dell OEM installation disk and drivers would be hard to find even if you could get Vista in there. Input the Service Tag into the Dell site and see if they offer an option to install Vista - sorry I couldn't bring my self to use the "upgrade" word in these circumstances. :D

4. pcv

pcv Thread Starter

I've actually used the Vista Upgrade Advisor from Microsoft and it told me my computer was good enough to run Vista and Home Premium was the perfect choice for me. luckily, I have a Home premium retail DVD.

What do I do about the recovery partition?

5. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

If you're determined to go ahead and convinced drivers are available, format it out of existence while XP still works in Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Disk management.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916127

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice