1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Windows XP upgrade

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Rougeole, Oct 30, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Rougeole

Rougeole Thread Starter

I have an old ATX build computer that has an Asus P5GC-MX/1333 motherboard with a
    2.2Ghz Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2200 Socket 775LGA and 3GB RAM running Windows XP 32 bit on a 120GB WD HDD and a 350W power supply.

The manual says that I can't upgrade the RAM (2 slots) higher than 3GB but, the motherboard is capable of 64 bit operation.

However, if I just re-format the hard drive and install a clean copy of Windows 7 home premium, activate the product key and then upgrade to Windows 10 home using the media creation tool, would be a better route.

My issue is with the limited RAM as I would like to install at least 4GB.

Would it be better if I just junk out the insides and install a completely new system, or try to upgrade it. YouTube videos suggests that it will take about 7 difficult steps to upgrade this XP system to Windows 10 Home.

Suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Depends on what you intend to use the system for. If it is just for surfing and general office work, then it would suffice. I am using a Dual Core 2.3 Ghz with 4 GB of RAM. And I use it for the above mentioned purposes. I am happy with it.

Also I always try out the cheapest solution first.

Also, you can just install Win 10 Home directly without installing Win 7 first. Win 10 Setup will accept the Win 7 activation key directly.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    ASUS P5GC-MX/1333 Motherboard (support site)
    It has 2 DIMM slots and supports a maximum of 4 GB(2 GB x 2) of DDR2 RAM.

Intel Pentium Dual Core E2200 2.20 GHz Processor
    It has a very low benchmark score of 1203.

If you plan to do a clean install of Windows 7 64-bit, its processor and 4 GB of RAM should be able to run it decently.
    And its integrated primary devices (chipset, graphics, audio, ethernet) should have Windows 7 64-bit drivers for them.

Forget about installing Windows 10 64-bit in that dinosaur.
    It's too old and too slow, and it's unlikely that drivers are available for all of its primary devices.

---------------------------------------------------------------

4. Rougeole

Rougeole Thread Starter

Thank you Frank, for that information. It was helpful in helping me make my decision. I was hoping but, alas a complete upgrade (motherboard, CPU, ram, ssd drive, power supply, Win 10 Home) is in order. The case is still quite functional for an upgrade.

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome. :)

You should consider buying a newer and faster refurbished PC which comes with Windows 10 Home or Pro 64-bit already installed in it.
    You can get a pretty decent one for $400 - $500.
    I've bought nothing but refurbished for the past 8 - 9 years. (y)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

6. Rougeole

Rougeole Thread Starter

Thank you for that information. I think I have decided to pull EVERYTHING out of the case (motherboard, cpu, optical drive, hard drive, power, etc) and upgrade with a completely new system. There is nothing wrong with the case. When I upgrade the motherboard, I will get the I/O plate with it. I already have a different computer that I built and have been using for the last 5 years, with no issues at all. So, I think I will be upgrading this old one to the same specs as that one.

7. Rougeole

Rougeole Thread Starter

Thanks Frank. I will consider doing that. I've never been a big fan of refurbished but, this is an option considering systems are not like they were in 2004.

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Besides saving a lot of money buying refurbished instead of buying new, refurbished PC's don't come with all the useless garbage and bloatware that new PC's do.
    I've bought more than 25 refurbished PC's in the past 8 - 9 years, and I've been happy with the vast majority of them.
    (y)

---------------------------------------------------------------

9. Rougeole

Rougeole Thread Starter

Thanks again. I am looking on eBay, Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace and Google for refurbished desktop pc's..

10. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Not sure I'd trust where you're looking ???
    I suggest to Look Here ... and Here

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019 at 8:05 AM
  11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I agree with Jay.
    Stay away from eBay and Craigs List - where you're at high risk of buying a stolen/pirated PC/operating system.
    Newegg is where I've bought more than 75% of my refurbished PC's.

--------------------------------------------------------------

12. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    I'm at 100% Newegg with 3 laptops and 3 desktops.
    Ebay, Craigs list and Facebook have no after sale Guarantee and are susceptible to scams.
    I included Amazon because of their after sale support.

13. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    I also have purchased refurbed computers from Newegg with good results.

And about your old computer, they still have usefulness with Linux.
    Puppy is said to work well with older computers.

14. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    We have a MS certified refurbisher not too far from us. I bought a CRT (years ago), bought my husband a Windows 7 desktop (it came with XP but they gave me a genuine MS 7 DVD, the correct serial number and typed out instructions how to do the upgrade) and taken two sets of friends to buy refurbished desktop computers from this place.

If you buy from a good source, you do end up with a good computer.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1234991

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice