1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP user switching problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rectore, Apr 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rectore

rectore Thread Starter

Hello! I have one strange problem, I am using my computer with my brother, and we are having 2 accounts on this comp, usally, we keep our profile loggen in, and often when computer is on, we both are logged in each of our user account, but problem is, that if one of us is logging of, or switching users (if both of as are in online mode) windows is logging off the one account, but after log out, it shows blank screen, computer is still running, but it just becomes freezed.. this ain't happening only if I log of my account and my bro loggs into his account and when I need to log in, he logs out and then I go to my account. I hope you understood my problem.

2. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

It sounds like a corrupted profile ..
    Have you tried making new ones to see if the problem still exists ??

3. rectore

rectore Thread Starter

yup, there is the same, just made one, same problem, if I keep one profile logged in computer and using other profile I can't switch without freezing my computer up, at very first beggining it allowed me to do this when we installed windows xp on this computer, but after some days it was giving problem to use this switch user thing.

4. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

5. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Another option is low RAM. In one of my PCs I sometimes will have five users logged on. So five instances of the AV, seven of IE, WOW on one, and NFS on another all at once, and things get slow and start crashing. I upgraded it to 2GB RAM to fix the problem.

6. rectore

rectore Thread Starter

you mean that " Super Fast Switcher PowerToy (Winkey + Q) " ? or column one to the left? I opened that link which was to left and got confused about these registry entries..

7. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

The first one .. sorry
    click on it to save to desktop and then double click to add to registry restartand see if you still have the problem

8. rectore

rectore Thread Starter

i have at the moment 768 MB of RAM, is this too small for two users?

9. rectore

rectore Thread Starter

i restarted my comp switching now works, BUT, if on computer are two account logged in, and if I log out of my account, blank screen appears and everything frozes and we can't get to other account, which is still logged in.

10. rectore

rectore Thread Starter

strange thing, dunno what to do :(

11. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

I am still investigating your problem
    do you have google toolbar installed
    and have you tried turning off fast user switching

12. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

It should be fine, but depends on what the other user is running. I never had a problem until 4-5 users at once and my POS antivirus (McAfee) insisted on loading another copy for each user.

13. rectore

rectore Thread Starter

nope, I don't have google toolbar, I am using Mozilla Firefox as my net browser no unnecessary tools I have installed, just primary for easy browsing. Ok, will try to turn off that fast switching.

14. rectore

rectore Thread Starter

Ok, I have now tried that too, in this way it works, but there is a little glitch, I log out of mine account, and try to log in my bro account ( he has password protected account) I can click on that picture, but I can't type in password , only way I can log in to his account is by pressing ctr+alt+delete to get thta logging window. There is one more thing, I have administrator account, but he has limited account, and my account ain't password protected, maybe there is that problem, but actually I don't think that this could be fault. Coz at beginning when Windows was installed it worked fine for some time..

15. rectore

rectore Thread Starter

I think that this problem has because of maybe soem wrong windows instalatioN? I don't know, strange.. Any1 can give me any advice?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/564880

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice