Windows XP Very Slow Bootup

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

nphp20

Hi,

I recently installed the game Guild Wars on my computer. The game was running perfectly, with no problems. Then, after a while of playing, I pressed the Restore Down button in the game to make it change from full screen mode to Windowed mode. I started changing the size of the game window by dragging the window edge, but when the game was shrunken down, it ran very poorly. Here is a screenshot of what I mean by shrunken down.

So I tried to move around in the game, and it was very laggy and choppy. I attempted to resize the window back to it's normal size, but the game was too busy moving my character and it wouldn't resize right. It would just do something similar to this, where you would see many repeating edges while the game was resizing the game.

After a while, the game didn't resize itself, so I closed it by clicking on the Red X close button, not by killing the process. It seemed to close, and so I moved my mouse down to the notification area to close MSN Messenger, because I thought it was using too much memory. But, it wasn't there, so I clicked the arrow to show inactive icons, and the computer gave me a Blue Screen. I don't remember everything it said, it had many codes and I guess memory addresses on it, but I do know that it said something along the lines of

Windows has encountered a problem and has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

And it had a driver name there, it was nv4_disp.dll.

So I can only assume that the video card driver crashed for whatever reason. It did the physical memory dump thing and then I powered off.

Now the real problem. I powered the computer back on, and it booted up normally. I got to the bootup screen with the Windows XP Logo and the scrolling bar below that, and then it finished, and a black screen appeared. Normally you would see this for about a couple seconds and then it would display the welcome screen, but the computer just got stuck there. I had no idea what had happened, but it was taking way too long. So I held the power button for 5 seconds to shut off. I turned on the computer again. The same thing happened, except that I got the screen asking me if I wanted to boot up into safe mode, use the last known good configuration, or start normally. I tried to boot up using each of those settings, but the black screen still occured.

Finally, using the Last Known Good Configuration setting, I just let it set on the black screen. I left, and after five minutes, I came back and the welcome screen was there. I logged in, and then the computer just showed my desktop. I saw the background, but none of the icons had been loaded, and the taskbar wasn't there. The mouse was there, and I could move it. I became impatient and I pressed the power button for 1 second (normal shut down). The computer began the shut down process, but then it just got stuck on the "Windows is Shutting Down" screen. I left this for a while and it still didn't turn off.

So I manually powered off, restarted, waited for the welcome screen to appear (took like 5 minutes), logged in, and then left the blank desktop. After about ten minutes, all the icons had been loaded, and the taskbar. Everything seemed to be working normally. I could play Guild Wars, and I could use the internet. Everything worked as it should have. Then, I restart after a while. Same problem. It wouldn't shut down, and it took way too long to boot up. After it did boot up, I went to this website to post this message.

In conclusion, it seems to me that the computer works fine, except for the fact that booting up and shutting down doesn't work. This has really stumped me and I have no idea what to do. I suppose I should be calling Dell Support, but I wanted to see if anyone here had anything to say.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but this issue has really scared me, and I hope this computer isn't permanently broken or there is some hardware issue.

If anyone needs them, here are my computer's specs:

Dell Dimension 4600
Pentium 4 CPU 2.79 GHz
512 MB RAM
Windows XP Home Edition SP2 (5.1, Build 2600)
NVidia GeForce FX 5200 (Driver Version 7.7.3.0)

Please help, this thing really scares me.:(

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online