1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP vs. Win 98

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by PMD, Dec 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PMD

PMD Thread Starter

O.k. - My daughter is in college & wants a Laptop instead of a desktop (o.k. with me, as I'll be inheriting this 1 year old computer plus I won't have to lug it up all thoses flights in her dorm). What I want to know is which O/S works better (less errors). I realize this is for the most part a matter of preference, but it would be nice if I could avoid any horror stories! I know what Win 98' is like, but haven't heard much about Win XP. Any takers?

2. LadyLisa

LadyLisa

3. kramnnim

kramnnim

I'll recommend XP, if it's pre-installed, and under warranty.

4. PMD

PMD Thread Starter

Went through the forum discussions that "Lady Lisa" suggested & it sounds to me that its no worse than any other of the O/S that came out in the past. Theres always some horror stories I guess. Thanks.

5. LadyLisa

LadyLisa

You're welcome :)

6. Talismanic

Talismanic

I have been using XP for a little less then a week and only because it came pre loaded on the lap top I bought. Before that I was using Win2k and have since it came out. I loved it for its stability and security and thought I wouldn't ever need to upgrade to XP. In fact I had made up my mind not to use/upgrade to XP because it is just a "pretty" GUI on top of Windows 2000.

But after using it for a while now I have to admit I like it. The "pretty" GUI is actualy pretty intuative and the new start menu beats the hell out of the Personal Menus that MS put into its last couple of OS releases.

My only complaint is that they made it incompatible with any type of personal web server so if I want to use my lap top to do web developement (ASP) I am going to have to upgrade to Pro.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61438

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice