Windows XP vs. Win 98

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

PMD

O.k. - My daughter is in college & wants a Laptop instead of a desktop (o.k. with me, as I'll be inheriting this 1 year old computer plus I won't have to lug it up all thoses flights in her dorm). What I want to know is which O/S works better (less errors). I realize this is for the most part a matter of preference, but it would be nice if I could avoid any horror stories! I know what Win 98' is like, but haven't heard much about Win XP. Any takers?

PMD

Went through the forum discussions that "Lady Lisa" suggested & it sounds to me that its no worse than any other of the O/S that came out in the past. Theres always some horror stories I guess. Thanks.

I have been using XP for a little less then a week and only because it came pre loaded on the lap top I bought. Before that I was using Win2k and have since it came out. I loved it for its stability and security and thought I wouldn't ever need to upgrade to XP. In fact I had made up my mind not to use/upgrade to XP because it is just a "pretty" GUI on top of Windows 2000.

But after using it for a while now I have to admit I like it. The "pretty" GUI is actualy pretty intuative and the new start menu beats the hell out of the Personal Menus that MS put into its last couple of OS releases.

My only complaint is that they made it incompatible with any type of personal web server so if I want to use my lap top to do web developement (ASP) I am going to have to upgrade to Pro.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online