1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP welcome screen black, not loading desktop.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Juicer90, Mar 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juicer90

Juicer90 Thread Starter

Hi all, I have 2 hard disks, 80 Gb and 500 gb which are both compatible with the rest of the computer.

The OS was initially installed in the 80GB drive and was working fine till I got a message on startup saying it had failed the S.M.A.R.T test and crash was imminent. So I loaded XP onto the the 500GB disk and removed the 80GB disk. Everything was working fine except on start up I was given two OS to boot from, the second one now obsolete since the disk was removed.

So I entered the System Configuration Utility and using the "Check All Boot Paths", (made a system restore point before this) deleted the option that no longer was in use and rebooted the system. Except that upon loading desktop it rebooted within a minute.
    I tried restoring using system restore but the same problem continued. So I tried repairing my installation using the Windows XP CD. After it did a repair, and upon boot and installing in place of the 'Welcome' screen, the screen turns black. However I have control over the mouse pointer. But Ctrl-Alt-Delete, Ctrl-Esc or right click, nothing of this sort works. Even booting in safe mode leads to the same result, except the black screen has 'Safe Mode' written in the corners.

Kindly advise.

2. Paynesmanor

Paynesmanor

First pull out the 80 gig hard drive, and see if it boots with just the 500gb drive by itself, If not, Insert the windows CD, reboot press a button to boot from CD. Skip the first repair option the next time it talks about repair do that one. You should see two partitions, a big one and a smaller one, select the larger of them to repair. The computer will fix the os and then reboot this time do not press the any key and just let it boot. I think what you may have happened is you had an backup windows on the 500gig, and pointed the boot to boot that os. Also if you have a damaged Hard drive, and even if you are not booting from it, having the corrupt or laggy hd will lead to boot issues,

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/983664

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice