1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows xp will not boot....missing or corrupt file

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lees58, Mar 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lees58

lees58 Thread Starter

I'm receiving a <windowsroot>system32/hal.dll missing or corrupt error upon startup.
    i've tried about 5 different suggested solutions from the Microsoft website and none have worked so far. I tried to boot using the Microsoft xp CD and then hit R for the recovery console.....in the recovery console i tried some solutions such as chkdsk /p and /r.....as well as fixboot......fixmbr and finally expand and copying the file into the c: drive.....nothing has worked so far.......i also went the other route....instead of hitting r for the recovery console i tried to reinstall xp but after i got through the first few steps and hit F8 to agree to the terms....i was only left with the choice of installing on one of the 2 partitions...i then received a warning that the partition i installed on would be formatted and all data erased.....the issue here is that although i do have most data backed up....there are a number of files that unfortunately i didn't back up...anyone out there have any suggestions....

thanks

2. lees58

lees58 Thread Starter

i also should mention that when i power up the computer....without the windows xp cd....it just goes directly to a black screen with the error.....im not even sure how to access the recovery partition of my hard drive anymore

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

4. lees58

lees58 Thread Starter

i checked out the link but in the reviews at the bottom of the page alot of people seemed to think that the advice was wrong and would make things worse. i followed another 2 links and they just led me to things i had tried already.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/689722

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice