1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows xp will not boot

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Les4, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Les4

Les4 Thread Starter

Could anyone please help
    computer was accidently switched off during a Restore operation which was taking my computer to a point prior to a time before I had loaded 15 gig of information.
    On trying to restart I am given an option of starting up in varios modes; all of which fail to reboot the computer.
    Safe mode brings up a screen with "safe mode" written in the 4 corners of the screen;the mouse arrow is available on the screen but I can't get the reeboot to commence.
    Do I need to obtain the xp cd from the manufacturer or can I cure it some other way.
    Any help would be very welcome
    les4

2. bobol

bobol

bump up for you;
    what cds do you have if any?

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

It would probably be a good idea at this point to get the true XP CD and try a repair install, especially if you just transferred 15 gigs worth of data.

4. DrakeBS

DrakeBS

well some manufacturers will send you restore cds to repair from things like that, some cds have it as well, put in ur windows xp boot cd and boot from cd, then watch the bottm evertully it will saay to use the System Restore Feature prss "f8" (or some key) now. and hit that and try to restore from there.

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Les4,

If you just transferred 15 gigs of information that you care about, might want to be a bit cautious using a system restore CD from the vendor. These typically restore you computer to how it came from the factory.

Now I'm not saying that is a bad idea. But more than one person has used it and too late found out that all their data, configurations and additional applications have all been removed.

It's just better to be informed ahead of time so you can make an informed decision.

6. Les4

Les4 Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone
    re installing the windows xp disc cured the problem but as Bob said it returned it to how it came out of the factory

7. biggrobbstud

biggrobbstud

so did u lose that 15 gigs or stuff. if i did the same thing would i lose all my pictures movies and music

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Sounds like he did which is why I gave the caution about this happening if a system restore CD was used. At least he made an informed decision.

9. biggrobbstud

biggrobbstud

whats a restore cd. is it different fromthe regular xp cd or upgrade cd. is there any other way to fix something like this without restoring everything back to fctory. dontthat mean deleting the partition. is there way i can get in and transfer some files to a new computer before i do the restore. i ask because i have a similar problem. u can check full detail at this thread:
    http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?p=2326442#post2326442

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Yes, a restore CD is different from an XP CD.

A restore CD typically refers to a CD from a manufacturer that restores you hard drive to the way it was when it left the factory, OS, apps, drivers etc. It's great for a quick restore but erases any data, additional programs, configurations etc. that have been added since then.

An XP CD typically just has the XP OS on it.

11. biggrobbstud

biggrobbstud

so can i use the xp cd to repair my pc or are some problems a bust. speifically like my problem in that thread

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

That's what I had suggested in my very first post.

13. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

From your post, it didn't sound like you did a repair install but a re-install. Depending on how that reinstall was done would determine what was saved or lost.

For example, if you reinstalled and formatted the drive in the process, then you would have lost everything.

If the reinstall was done from a factory restore CD, then everything would have been erased as well.

Typically a repair install does not erase anything, just repairs a defective OS.

14. biggrobbstud

biggrobbstud

i havent done anything yet. im going to try a repair install

15. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

biggrobbstud,

You might want to start your own thread on this. Avoids a lot of confusion.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325241

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice