1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP will not boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Patrick C, Jul 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Patrick C

Patrick C Thread Starter

Hello,

My computer will not boot for reasons shown below and am on my father's computer to solve this issue with you guys. Thanks for reading.

Specs:
    I have a 4 year old Dell Dimension 4600 with Windows XP. I have 300gb of hard drive space, 1gb RAM memory, Nvidia GForce 7600 256mb, Pentium 4 2.8 GHZ and the same old motherboard.

Issue:
    Whenever I boot my computer, only the BIOS loading screen shows and then restarts over and over again just reloading the same screen but not the other BIOS screens. It allows me to go into internal setup but when I go to the boot menus I can't even load it in safe mode. So I concluded that this must be a harware problem; I took a look inside and discovered that my copper sync cooler on my video card was way overheated after only 4 restarts which made me think that there could be a power issue but my motherboard cooler was fine. Also, near my RAM ports and Video Card at the first boot I hear a quick repetitive high pitched beeping which, of course, isn't good when it never happened before. I checked my video card and looked at all the fuses and they were hot as well but there seemed to be no damage to it so I guessed that it wasn't the video card, just something about the port or power system heating it up. The only conclusion I can find is that I have a motherboard hardware problem because it seems to be an internal BIOS issue and my hard drives can't even come into play.

*I might add a bit more later if I might have forgotten something but that seems like a good summary of my problem. Also, if an Admin can change this to "BIOS will not boot" because that is a the most specific in this case.

Thanks For Your Help,
    ~Pat

2. Ziggy1

Ziggy1

Try pulling the video card and try another one, You should post the number of Beeps you hear.

3. Patrick C

Patrick C Thread Starter

Well I figured out the problem, I tried to boot with th eWindows XP cd and it worked. I think m C drive got corrupted and and virus messed with the driver functions.

So i'm going to buy a better hard drive since this little 60 GB has served me long enough.

Thanks Ziggy for trying to help out.

4. lefty1953

lefty1953

In your first post you said you had a 300GB HDD and in your last you said your going to replace the 60GB. As for the beeping problem, it could be your ram. Did you let the PC cool down a long time before trying the XP disk? If you let it run a while and then reboot and you have the same problem I would check the ram.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/595248

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice