1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP will not even get to boot screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by thetreasurefine, Apr 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thetreasurefine

thetreasurefine Thread Starter

My ~4 year-old eMachines T2682 Windows XP Desktop "died" a couple of days ago. Here's what happened:
    -The computer was in hibernation mode, so when my wife went to "wake it up", it froze during the "Resuming Windows..." screen (while the white bars were moving across the bottom of the screen).
    -After it was stuck on that screen for awhile my wife shut the machine down (pressed and held the power button).
    -Now, going forward, whenever I press the power button to start it up, I can hear the machine start to "spool up", but nothing appears on the monitor (except for this message -- "no signal from CPU, monitor working properly"), no lights flash on the keyboard, no system "beep"... nothing. The yellow hard drive light remains solid on the front of the tower for a few minutes, and there is power to the CD/DVD drives, but nothing else.
    -I checked the obvious (monitor/keyboard cables), but all was well there.

I can't even get to a safe mode, setup screen, BIOS, etc. I tried inserting the Windows XP CD, and also the eMachines Recovery CD that came with the computer (hoping that the machine might attempt to boot from one of those), but nothing different.

I am not so concerned with getting the computer fixed -- if that's an easy fix, then great. But what I really want/need most is the ability to recover data off of my hard drive. So my question is two-fold:
    1) Any thoughts on how I can get my computer to boot up?
    2) Assuming that I can't get my computer to boot, can anyone help walk me through what I would need to do to recover data off of my hard drive (assuming that data is still there)?

Thank you!!!

Here's the kicker -- I had a portable hard drive at home, I just hadn't "gotten around" to backing my computer up. Grrr....:(

2. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

1) Any thoughts on how I can get my computer to boot up?

First determine what died. Sounds like perhaps the video died. Those are built in emachines if I recall correctly. Try installing a video card. You can't boot until you can see the boot. Once you can get into the bios we can go somewhere. If with a video card you still can't the system died.

2) Assuming that I can't get my computer to boot, can anyone help walk me through what I would need to do to recover data off of my hard drive (assuming that data is still there)?

You would move the drive to another machine as a slave, take ownership of the drive contents [google taking file ownership] and recover your data that way.

3. Mojolookout

Mojolookout

1. Try taking out your Cmos battery for a a few secs and putting it back. this will restore your BIOS to factory settings.

2. reseat your CPU and ram modules. if there's no keyboard lights it's prolly one of these two. if you can see the "no signal from cpu ..blad blah" message then your video graphic is OK.

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

eMachines have notoriously power power supplies and you probably blew it shutting it down hard.
    As for files and data if you don't do too much more to the drive and simply put it in another pc as slave making sure the main drive on the same ide cable is master, you should see it and be able to copy off whatever you need.

5. akola

akola

first attach a USB HD. get a bart pe CD and boot from a CD.

u will be able to get ur data from ur emachine HD.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702386

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice