1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP will not load; freezes!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by duke1401, Jul 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. duke1401

duke1401 Thread Starter

I cannot access my computer so I'm typing this from a laptop.

Couple of days ago, my computer froze while I was running an app to display the picture from my video card, alongside an audio editor among other things. These 2 programs had confilcted before -- If I would open the video display app before opening the audio prog, there would be a conflict and the computer would lock up, requiring a restart.

However, the most recent occurrence had happened not when opening the prog, but had froze after several hours of them both running. When I actually checked the comp and saw what had happened, it had been in the frozen state for about an hour. I thought the usual powering off/on of the comp would work, but instead:

- Bios loaded, followed by...nothing. The "Windows XP Pro" logo would normally have appeared, but it didn't; just a black screen after the Bios.

- Second restart yielded exactly the same results, so I left it Switched off for 10 hours, tried again after that, but still, it wouldn't load XP --

- Last thing I tried was booting in Safe Mode; what happened was, on the screen to select the OS, I selected it (WinXP Pro)...and it froze on that screen. So it seems to be not a case of not loading the OS, but rather freezing when trying to load it.

I don't really want to format and lose the contents of my C: Drive, that would be the worst scenario, but if it is related to that, I understand that might be the only option...Hopefully someone can identify the root of the problem, and offer the solution.

Many Thanks,

Paul

2. InfernoReaper

InfernoReaper

im not exactlt sure of your expertise but you might want to check your comp case for chip creep (make sure all things are seated correctly)

3. duke1401

duke1401 Thread Starter

Additional information about this computer that is failing to boot XP Pro:

- It also freezes the process of the System Restore CD from the get-go; as I tried a couple of days ago - I insert the CD, press a key to boot. The first message I get tells me the program is checking my hardware configuration..." and then remains frozen on that message.

- Something may have burned out(!)...ever since the system first failed to boot XP Pro there has been an odd smell whenever the comp is turned on, now clearly noticeable after the first few tries...It is worrying, yet my computer is still showing the bios, and it still sounds the same as it always did when it is running, so it isn't dead. I pray it can be saved without loss of data, but if I can get it looked at next week by someone a bit more savvy than I, perhaps I shall find out!? :confused:

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

Signs of a dead hard drive sorry to say....

5. duke1401

duke1401 Thread Starter

I have 2 hard drives; the D: is more important to me than the C: -- If the D: is fine, I'll be content with that. Losing both would be a nightmare!

6. duke1401

duke1401 Thread Starter

Well, seems it's not entirely dead; after moving the whole tower, whether it nudged something inside I don't know, but it is working, despite it previously taking many many attempts to boot beforehand.

I've taken the opportunity to back up all the important contents of C:\ to an external HDD because I'm unsure whether it may once again fail on me; but since I've been able to transfer my files ahead of such an event, looks like I've been reprieved somewhat.

BTW, Not sure if anyone can help me -- since this event, my Video Capture driver has spawned itself twice in the Device Manager! Only, one of them is working, and the other is not (has the exclamation symbol by it)...last time I tried deleting both of these after an incorrect picture was received, the driver continued to work (incorrectly) despite the removal (as it does on certain loads/installs) and since it was not available in the Device Manager, I couldn't get rid of it to do a fresh reinstall -- a System Restore to the previous checkpoint fixed this, but of course brought me back to the 2 copies of the driver in Device Manager. Any ideas?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485146

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice