1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows xp will not load properly

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by looknmirror, Aug 28, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. looknmirror

looknmirror Thread Starter

hello all,

i have an old dell dimension e520 that cannot load windows xp properly...it gets stuck at the same screen (see uploaded view)...last know config, start windows normally, safe mode and safe mode with command prompt do not work...they all return back to the same page (with 2 audible beeps)

F2 into setup utility does work...just dont know what todo in there or if it will correct this xp load issue...

i do not have an xp startup disc...

any help i can get would be appreciated...

thanks, alex

Attached Files:

2. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Go into the Bios and disable the floppy/diskette drive.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    This appears to be the same Dell Dimension E520 desktop that you had an audio issue with in March 2012.

I'm guessing there's an issue with the Windows XP operating system or with the hard drive.

--------------------------------------------------------------

4. looknmirror

floppy drives are already disabled, as per the BIOS menu screen

5. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    As Frank says. There may be an issue with the OS or with the hard drive itself. But, I don't think the Floppy is disabled. If it was you wouldn't get the "Floppy seek" error.
    Can you get into the Bios by pressing [F2], [Del] or whichever key is required, before you get the error message? You can see that the Bios is recognizing the drive. Maybe it is set to halt on all errors?

6. lynx1021

lynx1021

It may be only seeing a secondary hard drive and a CD drive instead of the C drive. Need to look in setup and see what it shows. On My old Dell I have to turn on each SATA port that I have something plugged into and the unused ones turned off or I get an error message.

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Did you do ANYTHING to that Dell Dimension E520 desktop BEFORE you had that issue?

---------------------------------------------------------------

8. looknmirror

ANYTHING...nothing really that i can recall...this unit is not used often...i periodically use an old game on it and use it for music, as it has all my old stuff on it...i just fired it up to do the same old, and maybe transfer some music and this issue started...ive been slowly researching for answers the last month...

9. looknmirror

got into bios and found the first image settings, changed the boot settings to second image setting to bypass those items 'not present' in the first image and tried to start and same issue, third image...

its does give an audible 2 beeps when it arrives at the floppy disc seek failure screen, if that helps...

thats the latest here...

Attached Files:

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    These appear to be the beep codes for the Dell Dimension E520:

1.JPG 2.JPG

---------------------------------------------------------------

11. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    WHat do you have under "DRIVES"?

Do you have a floppy seek at boot there? Maybe under POST behaviour?

Did it ever have 2 hard drives in it? If so, it's certainly possible that the boot drive has died. As this machine is old etc. do you feel comfortable opening it up and re-seating all cables and connectors. That too will tell you if there's a second, unrecognized, drive in it. Try to move the cables to different connections.

Lastly, make sure the SATA mode is set for IDE. Not ACHP or Raid, if available. (That'll be in the Bios).

Does it have a RAID card in it? The Intel Matrix is an old version of Intel RAID. It could be onboard as well as an expansion card. Only way to find out would be to have someone with knowledge, or yourself, open the machine and see where the cables are going.

12. looknmirror

without opening up the patient,

dont believe it ever had a second drive...

SATA mode is set to RAID ON and the modes available are only this and AUTODETECT...(trying to read about RAID,IDE, and ACHP is hurting my brain...so, what benefit is IDE mode as you suggest?)

SATA zero is OFF, 1 is ON (DVD), 2 and 3 are NOT AVAILABLE on chassis, 4 in ON (HARD DRIVE WDC WD1600JS-75NCB3) and is controlled by RAID BIOS, 5 is OFF

thats what i have right now...ill wait on your response before i attempt 'reseating'...

Attached Files:

13. lynx1021

lynx1021

Normally your boot drive should be SATA-0, not that familiar with raid. From what I understand , With Raid you usually have multiple hard drives. and raid can be set up for fast access or mirror copy for backup.

14. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Please give the Service tag for that system. It should be on a sticker somewhere. I'll then look up the motherboard and see what you have.

RAID is typically comprised of, minimum, 2 drives. That can be to mirror drives or to span volumes over multiple disks. With more disks you have options to distribute data over, minimum, 3 drives. Then if one fails you do not lose your data but can replace the failed drive with a new one and rebuild. There's other options too but I doubt those are applicable here.

The RAID controller requires a driver to be installed, as does ACHP, to detect the hard disk(s) when loading XP. IDE mode does not.

Please set your Diskette to "OFF" and set the RAID to "Autodetect" and see what happens.

15. looknmirror

alright, so,

i unseated/reaseated all connectors...it also does not appear to have a RAID card, although RAID on is the factory setting...also ive only ever had one drive...the only addition ive ever made is added RAM...

available RAID setting are ATA or RAID on, which is the default...

with limited research done, it does sound like if i chance the RAID setting i will have to reinstall WINDOWS, which i would rather not do...

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1215074

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice