1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows xp will not load properly

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by looknmirror, Aug 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lynx1021

lynx1021

Your SATA cable looks mangled, most Dells require a right angle connector to fit under the cover, try another SATA cable upload_2018-9-18_16-22-25.png upload_2018-9-18_16-22-25.png

2. looknmirror

looknmirror Thread Starter

good call, it isnt a 90 but it is a bit melted...ill try another and see where what we get...never would have seen that as the only time i ever opened her up was to add ram which is pretty easy if i could do it...thanx

3. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    You can't have a RAID system with only one drive. So I guess you'll have to set it to ATA.
    It also looks like the RAID is on the motherboard. Not on a expansion card.
    Like Frank said much earlier. It's quite possible that your drive is bad or corrupt.
    But, again, set the RAID to ATA and see what happens. Maybe even download a hard disk test application. Most manufacturers have their own. And they are often in an ISO format so you can burn a CD/DVD and boot from that. Other can be downloaded and installed on a different machine. Which, of course, requires you to remove the drive and test it in that machine.

Have you tried to remove the drive, install it in a different system or attach it with an external USB connector? Just to see if the OS will recognize the volume(s) on that drive?

4. looknmirror

and, of course, that didnt help...onward ho!

5. looknmirror

first, the Dell diagnostic cd wont run, i can hear the disc spinning, but it will not run the diagnostic, it just goes thru the same 'error' menus as before...with the cd as the first boot sequence, as usual, i also got the attached black screen (boot device not available)

second i tried, the RAID ATA switch which then gets the same 'floppy diskette seek failure' and a new one, 'no boot device available'...it also changes my Boot Sequence in setup to the attached blue screen...

Attached Files:

6. looknmirror

for further edification and enjoyment, i turned off the disket drive and made the hard drive the only recognized boot device and in RAID ON or ATA modes we lose the 'floppy diskette seek failure'...it trys to start but loops back every time to the 'start loop screen' (attached)...in any safe mode we get the (attached) response...

so, theres that!?

Attached Files:

7. lynx1021

lynx1021

Well it is trying to load the safe mode drivers, does it ever finish? I had one do that years ago and I think I used some boot fix CD or floppy boot fix to fix it, Your cd rom might be bad also on that old of a machine. is the CD-ROM SATA? Do you have a spare to try?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1215074

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice