1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP will not run exe files

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by adsullivan, Jul 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. adsullivan

adsullivan Thread Starter

I need help, my computer will not run any exe files from any source. Please let me know how to fix this. Thanks

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

3. adsullivan

when I try to use any exe or program to repair exe problem it sends me a notification that says windows cn not open this file, then refers me to an on line source, but when I click on the on line source it just returns to the original windows can not open this file screen.

4. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

adsullivan,
    Go to the link below and scroll down to line 12 (left column) and click on "EXE (lnk and regfile) Fix for Windows XP" to download a reg file fix. Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it or right click it and choose "merge" and answer yes to the import prompt.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

If you can't run the file do the following:

Press CTRL-ALT-DEL and open Task Manager. Once there, click File, then hold down the CTRL key and click New Task (Run). This will open a Command Prompt window. Enter REGEDIT.exe and press Enter. Once regedit is open click File>Import and locate that reg file fix, hilite it and click Open.

Note: If you can't access the Internet with the problem computer use another computer to download the reg file fix onto a CD, thumb drive, or floppy and transfer the file to the problem computer.

After that .reg file is merged into the registry successfully restart your computer.

Tufenuf

5. adsullivan

I attempted the source you recommended, when I click on them it says the files can not be opened do to missing parts

6. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

adsullivan, Go back to that kellys site and right click on that "EXE (lnk and regfile) Fix for Windows XP", choose Save target as and save it to somewhere on your hard drive that you can easiky find it. Now try this.

Press CTRL-ALT-DEL and open Task Manager. Once there, click File, then hold down the CTRL key and click New Task (Run). This will open a Command Prompt window. Enter REGEDIT.exe and press Enter. Once regedit is open click File>Import and locate that reg file fix, hilite it and click Open.

Tufenuf

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/847109